In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Picky question on "torx head" screws

the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
I've got a 1947 Model 70 with a Lyman All-American scope which is great but it's in a mount using the "torx head" screws. I know it's a picky item, but are these screws period-correct for 1947 or should they be changed to slot-head for correctness? When did torx-heads originate? Thanks.
yooper

Comments

• carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wiki says; 1967 torx was invented.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I doubt if your 1947 model 70 had a SCOPE. If it did it most likely was Not anywhere NEAR the scope you have on it . Maybe a Lyman Alaskian I would be period correct. Scope ring screws is a MOOT point
  • the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DUHHH! I guess I should have read my Nick Stroebel "Old Rifle Scopes" book more closely. I thought the All American and Alaskan scopes were both Lyman scopes of the same time period, different prices. I doubt I'll be using that rifle for hunting anyway, so I'll likely return it to its original sight configuration.
    Thanks
    yooper
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    A friends uncle had a M70 from about that era. I think it was factory drilled. It had Leupold adjust-O maounts and Leupold Pioneer 7/8" tube non-adjustable scope. the mounts used allen head wrenches, so while slot head screws were more common, hex heads would be period correct too, just no star drive/torx. I think i'd use the rifle for its intended purpose rather than having it languish in a corner.