In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Uberti

papas$papas$ Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
a few years ago,I purchased a 357 cattleman with gold colored trigger and backstrap, but without a cylinder In the process to get a cylinder I learned this gun was different from others in the U.S.A
A replacement cylinder would not fit. (Was offered $1500.00 for it without a cylinder) I took the oversize cylinder to a gunsmith and he cut it down reblued installed and fired the gun. I was pleased and happy with the gun. My ?. What makes this gun different and is it worth anything. The difference is the size of the cylinder and the markings Dis. New York, N.Y. I was told this was not possible. Can anyone help me with info or direct me in the right direction.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    looking for some custom grips for a uberti stallion revolver...any help appreciated ...thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought at a public auction a uberti 357 cattleman with no cylinder. While searching for same was told that my gun was different because it was distributed out of New York, which is on the markings of the gun. Was told only a few were dist. from NY. Cylinders for the uberti 357 would not fit. Had to have one cutdown and fitted. Gun works well now. Can you tell me if I have a Uberti that is different. and if so value? Thanks
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was it one of those Taylor guns?

I would've thought if the gun was an Uberti any ol' Uberti, Cimmeron, Stoger or Navy Arms would've fitted being, Uberti made guns for all of them.

If yours were rare it ain't no more, it's just a shooter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responce. This Gun has a brass backstrap and trigger housing. On top of barrel Cattleman 357 Mag. On side of barrel is the name of A uberti and G. Gardone. On frame is. La Dist. Inc. NYC
    NY. S# B1227. Was offered A nice sum of $ at time of restoration. Was told few guns were dist. from ny. Any info if this is true. PS Is a good shooter. Thanks
    NOt a taylor or not marked so. Just like auction #330989981. But not marked Iv Johnson. Same case steel and brass strap. Front sights different. And of corse XXVI. Other markings the same. Again thanks
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Cattleman was a trade name used by Iver Johnson on Uberti revolvers they imported and sold in the 70's. The reason that the importers name is "LA Dist., NYC", is that Lou Imperato a big New York based gun dealer had purchased Iver Johnson in 1973.

I don't absolutely know for sure, but I believe that the Cattleman was just a standard Uberti made single action revolver. There have must have been at least a dozen different U.S. based importers/distributors selling similar Uberti made revolvers in the last 40 years.

One of the Italian proof marks on the revolver will be a coded date. Either provide photos or a description to find out when it was made.

EDIT #1, The Roman Numerals XXVI would be a proof date of 1970, according to my reference. This is a quite earlier date then I expected. Perhaps Uberti held the completed revolvers in storage, prior to shipping them to the States?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your responce. XXVI is stamped on the frame alone with a circle with a star in the middle and the letters PSF under the circle. Also another stamp, but can't tell what it is. same stamps on barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Please read edit above. I'm new at this. Just like auction #330989981 except not Iver John. front sight different. and of course XXVI which I think is the date. other stamps the same. 7 1/2 barrel in 357. Thanks for your help. By the way Didn't give but $35.00 without cylinder. Cylinder cost $100.00 to be cut 1000th and blued and fitted.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For $135 you did just great, these don't attract much collector interest, and replacing the cylinder killed the originality of the gun, but if it shoots well, you got a good shooter at a very good price.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for you did ok at $135. If you plan on shooting it a lot or perhaps working on quick draw you should looks for the replacement springs now. If it were mine I stick to factory level 357's not heavy end of hot hand loads.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    +1 for you did ok at $135. If you plan on shooting it a lot or perhaps working on quick draw you should looks for the replacement springs now. If it were mine I stick to factory level 357's not heavy end of hot hand loads.

I would second what Charlie says! Back in the 80's, I was in the gun business selling Uberti's, under the Mitchell name. Local guy came in and bought 2 in 44 Mag. Came back month later, both were toast.

They were real nice looking guns with the case colors and everything. Better looking and cheaper then the Ruger 44 Mags. Just couldn't take the pounding of full boat 44 Mag loads.