In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Real Winchester 1897 Riot? C96326

shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have found wht looks like a real Winchester 1897 Riot shotgun. The serial number is a C over 93326. It says FULL over CYL on the barrel. On the side of the slide it say Winchester over Model 1897.
It appears to be not refinished and in fairly good condition except some small cracks in the buttstock. It has a smoooth metal butt plate with the v at the top. Is it real and about what is it worth in 70%. Bert I have lost your direct email.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesn't sound correct to me. The blue book of gun values has a section Trench./Riot Shotguns.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the "FULL" marking still original, or is it "FULL"?

Winchester did convert a small number of Field grade guns into Riot Guns if needed to fill an immediate order. In my research survey, I have noted several other factory Riot Guns in the same serial number range (93096, 93410, 93434, 94075, 96111, 96855, 98625, 98918, and 98921). Serial numbers 98918 and 98921 were both originally Field grade guns that were factory converted (shortened barrels) to Riot Guns (as listed in the factory ledgers).

Can you post pictures of the gun and the markings on it? Measure the distance from the muzzle to the front sight bead and let me know what it is.
  • Options
    1988RRC1988RRC Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have C95751 and it was converted by the factory according to the factory letter I received.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1988RRC
    I have C95751 and it was converted by the factory according to the factory letter I received.

That makes one more for my research survey[^] Is your Riot Gun a solid frame or Take Down? What was the received in warehouse date (March - May xx, 1900)? Does it have a smooth steel butt plate?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The word FULL is over the CYL. No line thru the full. From the front bead to the end of barrel is exactly 1/2 inch. I will try to get a few pictures on the forum tonight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by shooter10
    The word FULL is over the CYL. No line thru the full. From the front bead to the end of barrel is exactly 1/2 inch. I will try to get a few pictures on the forum tonight.

Update - According to Cody, it was a 1900 converted to Riot shotgun. Bought it the day I found out. Thanks to everyone for help, especailly Bert.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shooter10
    Originally posted by shooter10

Update - According to Cody, it was a 1900 converted to Riot shotgun. Bought it the day I found out. Thanks to everyone for help, especailly Bert.