In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

270 and 3006 ballistics question

deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hello all,
I just got a 700 BDL SS in 270 winchester(my first 270) and went to the range today to sight it in, I shot a perfect 1/4 inch group at fifty yards with federal premium 130 grain nostler balistic tip factory loads then went out to 100 yards and shot a nice 1/2 inch group that hit 2 1/2 inches high. My 3006 with 168 grainers hit dead on at 50 yards then dead on again at 100 yards, How do the balistics compare as far as trajectory between these two rounds. and Should i leave it 2 1/2 inches high at 100 yards? your thoughs would be great.

images.jpgnysrpa.jpgNoPETA.jpgnra.jpg

Comments

• Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    My guess would be that the .270 is still rising at 100yrds, where the 30-06 is not. Because of the lighter bullet, it will shoot 'flatter'.
    I have an older Ruger(tang safety) in .270.
    I think you will like it![:)]

MVC-279S.jpg
    Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see !!
    NRA Life Member
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey deerhntr give me more info and I'll plug it all into my ballistics program (what is the brand or velocity of 168 gr. in the '06 ?)
    Even though the 270 shoots flatter than the '06 the actual difference is in fractions until you get out past 300 yards.
    I ran 2 factory loads with the bullet weights you mentioned, if both are sighted 2.5" high at 100 yards see the comparison below.
    50 yards +1.01" 100 yards +2.5" 200 yards +2.4" 300 yards -3" 400 -14"

30/06
    50 Yards +1.06 100 yards +2.5" 200 yards + 1.9" 300yards-3.7" 400-15"

Both hit their highest point at 150 yards 270 is + 2.9" the 30/06 is 2.84".
    So as you can see the incredibly flat shooting 270 doesn't have all that much over the sedate ol" 30/06 if they are sighted in at the same point of impact.
  • Options
    deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,
    the 3006 is (factory load) winchester supream 168 grain silver ballistic tips, thanks for the info.

images.jpgnysrpa.jpgNoPETA.jpgnra.jpg
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are talking almost identical case capacities with one moving a .277 cal 130gr pill and one run a .308pill at 168gr's. The 130gr pill is going to be moving faster which in turn will yield the flatter trajectory.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    deerhntr,

These are the links to the Winchester Ammunition website that contains the ballistic path information for these two factory loads. If you will notice, the path for both cartridges, loaded as you state, is the same. These paths are predicated on everything being level. The reason for the difference is probably the angles at which your shots were made or the change in angle to the change in distance to the target. But since there are about 10 other variables that you didn't mention, it's really impossible to do anything except guess as to what the difference is.

Best.

30-06 SPRINGFIELD w/168 gr. Supreme Ballistic Tip

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SBST3006A&cart=MzAtMDYgU3ByaW5nZmllbGQ=&bn=5

.270 WINCHESTER w/130 gr. Supreme Ballistic Tip

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SBST270&cart=MjcwIFdpbmNoZXN0ZXI=&bn=5

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing ommitted here is the sight line above the bore. If the .270 has a higher scope mount it could explain the difference at 100 yards.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    deerhntr,

This is one online ballistic calculator that I use. http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ballistics/traj/traj.html Like all online or programmed ballistic calculators it won't be exactly dead on always but it still gives a very good idea what you want to use as a zero where you go hunting. Change your zero to where ever you want to attain the longest point blank zero that you can. You can also change it for various calibers to make comparisons. One of the things you won't find on the ballistic info on a box of ammunition is all the variances you get with longer or shorter barrels, alitude, temperature, humidity etc. This is a good tool to print out and make up a range card with and go to the range and actually verify what you have or don't have.

That being said the .270 Win using lighter bullets is a favorite among shooters where I'm from, out west. They give a very flat trajectory out to about as far as you would want to shoot. They drop off faster at longer ranges than do heavier bullets but that is usually beyond the range of normal shooting. The lighter bullets are also plenty of power to shoot deer with. I would recommend going with heavier bullets of good construction for chasing elk with a .270. The caliber is very much up to the task of taking an elk. Again using a ballistic calculator to get the general drops that you can take to the range and verify I think is the way to go. -good luck.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>