In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thompson update- Legality!!???!!!

iluvrotsiluvrots Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
Just wanted to give an update to the post you fine folks helped me out with earlier in the week. I spoke to the family that "claims" they have one. I was told it is a .45, not a .30 like they said earlier, Auto Ord. Thompson 27 A1 ( I'm assuming the model is a 1927 A 1 ?). Still have not seen the weapon . I was told they looked for any type of paperwork and did not have any, probably not registered. Based on the advice from forum members, it would be illegal to buy the gun. So I think I"ll stay away from it. Thanks to all who gave their opinions on it.

Comments

• joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    could always consulat a lawyer on the subjuct

YOU BEEN NUNNED!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have an Auto Ord 1927 A1 as well. It is not illegal, mine is semi auto. There are many of them out there. I remember seeing part of the other post but cant remember if they claimed it was full auto or semi. If it is full auto, if it is not registerd with the ATF it would be illegal for you to own. If it is full auto and registered, and you live in C3 state, and you can get a LEO sign off, and you have $200 extra for the tax stamp, and you have alot of time, it is legal to own. If the family knows what they have it will be easy to tell too, semi auto should cost under $1000, Full auto are well over $10,000.

Just remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Anyone who would sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither!!!

Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

John
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    1921, 1928 and M1 variants are short barrelled and full-auto. The 1927 is s fixed stock semi-auto with a carbine length barrel. Other than these changes it's a copy of the 1928.

No special BATFE paperwork is required.