In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

250 3000 Savage Model 99 Deer Rifle

armcandyarmcandy Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
Need some opinions on this combo for Pa. whitetails.

Thanks

Armcandy

Comments

• Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Low recoil, plenty of power for deer, accurate and easy to hit with. It's the classic deer cartridge and gun in my opinion. I'm using mine this Fall. I recommend the 100 grain Silvertip ammo.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is not to like, except the price of buying one.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TWalker has it right on with the 100 gr. silvertips.
    Great deer rifle.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you decide what bullet weight to use you'll have to check the twist rate.I had one of the older ones and I believe it had a 1 in 14" twist and wouldn't stabilize a 100 grain bullet.If that's the twist you have you'll have to stick to the 87 grain bullet.[:)]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just wish I had it
  • Options
    armcandyarmcandy Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys,

Armcandy
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what are you going to use for grain weight bullets??? [:)]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Savage 99 is very old but I don't know the twist rate. It does stabilize the 100 grain ammo well, though. I don't think the ammo companies make the 87 grain loads any more, so 87 grain bullets, if necessary, would require handloading. I would try the 100 grain loads first, chances are good they'll work fine.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta love those 87's for deer. If not 100's will work just fine also. Fast moving and flat as far as you will need to shoot it. Nosler BT's for holding together. edited: I did note that Winchester is producing 100 gr. Silvertips. I thought those were antique but they were pretty good bullets also.

There is also a lot of counter information also to the heavier bullets busting brush. Anytime a bullet hits brush it deflects. It doesn't take a lot of material to make a bullet deflect comepletly off your target. In my experience, 25's do the best job on deer. Easy kicking and plenty of energy on target. -Good luck and great rifle.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Many many deer have fallen to the Savage 250. It is one that I eventually will have in my gun rack.