In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 742 Woodmaster

Paladin41usPaladin41us Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hi all

Anyone fill me in on a lil info about these rifles? Had one handed down to me, it was one mfg between 1951 and 1960 chambered in 308cal. I have read some horror stories about these rifles was wondering what truth there is this. The rifle looks as if it has only been fired a few times shows very lil wear.

My concern was the fact that the reciver(slide) wouldn't lock back so I could manually load a single round not to mention when I insert the clip and slide the action back it will not chamber a round, was wondering if maybe I should just throw it up over the fireplace..lol. Any info would be great.

Thank you!!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington 742 Woodmaster 30-06 but I'm not sure which version it is (ADL or BDL). The rifle is in overall excllent condition. No scratches or dings, no wear on the metal, It really looks like it has spent most of its life in the gun cabinet.

I would like to know what it is worth and also how to tell if it is a BDL or ADL. I have photos but not sure if they can be posted here.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Paladin,

You have incorrect information concerning when the Model 742 was manufactured. Actual production was from 1960 - 1980. The date code stamped on the left rear of the barrel (near the receiver) will tell us exactly when it was made during that timeframe.

The bolt can not be locked open unless an empty magazine is inserted. If you have a cartridge in the magazine, it should chamber that round when you cycle the bolt (by pulling it to the rear and letting go). Never try to manually control the bolt through its complete cycle.

The horror stories about the Model 742 are unfortunately true for the most part. Even Remington refuses to work on them anymore. The design of the bolt is such that if it gets dirty, it causes problems, and even if you do keep in clean and lubricated, over time, it eats up the section of the receiver that it locks into. I keep a very light coat of moly grease on the surface of the bolt and receiver, and it has helped to keep my 150th Year Anniversary Model 742 Woodsmaster in top shooting condition. That said, I have only shot one full box of shells through it in the past 12 years (I recheck the scope settings with 2 shots once a year). Over the 30+ years that I have owned it, I have only fired about 50 rounds through it. At the rate that I shoot it, it should last my lifetime.

Bert H.

Real Men use a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!
  • Options
    CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,

The Model 740 Woodsmaster came about c.1955-1959 when some slight changes were made resulting in the Model 742 Woodsmaster in 1960. A notable difference is in the bolt; although the 742 retained the multiple small locking lugs, Remington also engineered a bolt latch into the design. Neither the 740's nor the 742's bolt lugs lock into the receiver anywhere. The bolt lugs lock into recesses in the rear of the barrel, which is a slip fit into the front of the receiver and is secured by the barrel takedown nut located at the front of the receiver underneath barrel itself.

The problem with both the 740 and 742 is basically what Bert H is saying. If not very well maintained, the bolt will actually start chewing up the track in the top of the receiver, causing 'chatter' marks to the point where you will develop failure to feed, etc. The only fix is to replace the receiver itself and as mentioned before Remington no longer produces parts or even services the model anymore. (By the way, the current incarnation of the design - the 7400 - has a different bolt lug design and does not appear to have the same issues).

We always suggest having 740's and 742's professionally cleaned after each hunting season (complete disassembly) to check the receiver, orifice, etc. That combined with the typical hunter one-box-of-shells-a-year use can keep a 742 working practically forever.

Another weak spot in the 740/742 that HAS carried over to the 7400 is the extractor. Since the barrel on these guns is not designed to be casually removed for cleaning, it can be difficult to correctly clean the chamber. In fact, cleaning from the muzzle and then letting the gun stand upright over the next year can cause residue pushed from the barrel to dry in the chamber (WD40 is particularly bad about this). When the gun is fired the next year, the case sticks in the chamber and either rips out the extractor or the extractor rips a chunk off the case leaving it stuck in the chamber. The 740/742 used an extractor riveted into the bolt head which caused the bolt head to crack. I sell 742 bolts on e-youknow and they always bring at least $60 for that reason. Remington since went to a rivetless extractor on the 7400 (doesnt solve the extractor problem, but at least it doesnt mortally screw up the bolt anymore, plus its easier to replace).

Wow, didn't think I had that much to say. Anyhow, the gun is really not designed to single load. If you want to load one round at a time, do it from the magazine and allow the bolt to run forward under its full spring power - dont try to ease it forward. As to why it is not chambering, would really need to see what is going on with it (cartridge not feeding up from the mag, bolt not retracting fully, so on).

Not trying to insult anybody, but the first question is always: are you using the correct magazine and the correct ammunition?

Scrappy Doo sleeps with the fishes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Very very informative, I thank you all for the info. To answer your question Countrygunsmith, It is the right "magazine and ammo" & (none taken) :), I took it to the range to check the sighting on it "hoping to use it these deer season" anyway what had happened is I loaded 3 round into the clip, locked the clip in place, retracted the bolt fully to the rear and released it, with any other semi auto in working condition it should have loaded a round.

So figuring it chambered, took aim downrange and click, of course the next words were sxxx, anyway waited a few minutes and removed the mag, and 3 rounds were still in the clip :(. I could see where something scared the top of the round when the bolt moved to the forward position, needless to say I tried it again in slow motion and still nothing. I guess I will shelf it until I can get it to a gunsmith "better safe then sorry"

Thank you fine folks very much.
  • Options
    CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Replace the magazine. It is not positioning the cartridge high enough for the bolt to pick it up. Common for the feed lips to get bent on these and/or the mag spring just gives up.

Uses the same magazine as the 7400, so Remington still makes them.

sales@countrygunsmith.net if you have trouble finding them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you much Country. I will email sent
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What an unusually civilized exchange! It was a pleasure to read and learn a little something from. I thank you[^] all kindly.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, I guess I've been lucky all these years. I've shot a 742 30/06 until the rifling was gone from the first inch of barrel and never had one blip. Course, I cleaned it as completely as possible (as good as the auto I staked my life on) and used the heck out of that little doglegged chamber brush. On the other hand, I just had a 6mm (first year production) in the shop last week that was so dirty I had to scrub the carbon off the sides of the barrel and it was still working-kind of.

Mobuck<BR>
  • Options
    MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just my two cents, excellant distribution of info. Have had my 742 for well over 20 yrs now. Impeculously cleaned yearly and still functioning well. Have had a few in the shop over the years that I resurected but many have just been put to bed cause they were torn up just like Bert said. Overall I like it almost as much as my pre-64 model 70's...

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing