In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Coumadin and shooting

jc40jc40 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
Can any of you that may be on medication with Coumadin have any suggestions regarding the prevention of brusing while shooting a gun that has a strong recoil. Thanks for your input jclane40@yahoo.com

Dr. J. Curtis Lane

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those shooters who take anti-coagulants face a far more serious problem from recoil than bruising: CVA (cerebro vascular accident). Strong recoil first forces the cerebrum against the front of the skull, then "whiplash" smashes the brain stem.

A shooter in this situation may be able to minimize the trauma by switching rifle type; e.g., a .308 round fired in a M14-clone will produce much less recoil than a .30-06 fired in a bolt action with only slight loss in ballistics. But, the safest thing would be to avoid firing high powered rifles.

Neal
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JC= If your inquiry is for a rifle, and you are shooting from the bench, I recently bought a lead sled rifle rest- tired of getting hammered by 8mm Mauser while sighting in scopes. They are about $90-100. It is not a Ranson Rest- but it soaks up about 80% of the recoil. You can also go to the reduced recoil loads that are out there. For shotgun- try a shooting jacket (padding) and lighter loads. Yeah, does not do much good for goose hunting with the 10 g Mag anti-aircraft gun, but for upland birds, try low brass 20's- birds don't seem to notice difference. For handgun, all other things being equal, the heavier weapon recoils less. Also try a glove, and lighter loads (38 Special vs 357, etc) For long guns that you will not carry a real long way, and have a hollow in the stock, I have added a pound of lead to one of my short barreled shotguns- it does help. There are also mercury filled tubes that fit inside stock- don't reduce recoil, but spread it out in time, so it feels less. You could also look at rounds like the 223 or 220 Swift- negligible recoil. Take care of yourself, bro- we can't afford to lose a voting shooter. (HEY- Y'all all HAVE registered to vote in next election- RIGHT?)
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am puzzled by this entire subject. I have been on fairly large doses (5 mg/day) of coumadin for 13 years. I shoot as often as I can including hi-power competition in the summer (I usually shoot a Garand, but I have used a Springfield o3a3). I have a number of WW II vintage military BA's that I also shoot with regular GI ammo. On some guns I use a slip-on recoil pad, more to increase length of pull than cushioning. I have NEVER had any sort of problem. Is someone making a mountain out of a mohill?
    Morty
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It all depends upon whose mountain it is.

Anyone with a serious medical condition needs to discuss his medications & lifestyle with his physician. In the sport of boxing, it used to be common to see old fighters with signicant brain injury from being hit in the head repeatedly (safety equipment has improved things.) High power shooters, especially rifle shooters, are subject to the same kind of internal head injury. You personally may never have a problem, but you should be aware of the possibility of damage from shooting, & discuss it with your doctor.

Neal

"Sudden death is nature's way of telling you to slow down."
  • Options
    WoodrowUSMCWoodrowUSMC Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very interesting question!!! Are there any medical doctors out there that would be willing to offer a non-libel, non-attribution, professional medical opinion??? I've been taking 10mg of Coumadin for almost two years now and regularly shoot rifles and shotguns with no noticeable bruising. I just finished patterning a new slug barrel shooting 20-25 slugs without any bruising, granted my shoulder was sore but that was the only adverse effect that I noticed. I will ask my own doctor about this next time I see him. Great question which has prompted some good discussion. How about it, any medical doctors out there???
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave
    My Dad takes Coumadin and he does not have troubles with bruising from recoil but he never did. Could it just be the folks that bruise easy to start with will get bad bruising from the meds? Dr told my Dad to avoid getting cut while hunting due to not clotting.

Say nothing, Just smile and make them guess how much you know....

Also avoid getting cut while at the range and be aware that if you are in a car accident (motorcycle, ATV, etc.) away from quick medical help, you might bleed a dangerous amount of blood. Might be best to buy and keep on hand some of the new military blood-clotting bandages. I have read that they can be slapped on and will stop a very large wound from bleeding very quickly.

Also, keep some kind of medical indentifyer on your person or attached to your wallet/purse, etc. as if you are injuried and unconcious, if no one knows you take a blood thinner it might be too late for you by the time they find out.

BTW, I don't take a blood thinner, but my mother does.

f2520l.jpg
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Notice that there are three (including me)coumadin users responding here and none reports any problems. I still think this is molehill!
    Morty