In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt 1882 Damascus

zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have an idea of the manufature date - SN: 5527 - and the worth of this Damascus double? Condition is very good.

COLTS_12GA_DamascusDouble.jpg
COLTS_PAT.jpg
chewtwigzz.gif

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Zipper...

That is a Colt Model 1883 Hammerless Grade 1. There were approximately 7500 of them manufactured between 1883-1895. The only way to know when yours was made, is to purchase a factory letter from Colt (and it won't be cheap[V]). I really need to see several more close-up photos in order to give you a decent value estimate, but it is worth at least $1200.

Bert H.

Real Men use a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert. Actually, I have three of them, same
    except for different barrel lengths. Two Colts
    and a Fox Sterlingworth. They were my great
    grandfather's and later grandfather's duck and
    geese guns. One's got a 32" barrel. I was just
    curious about the manufacture date, actually.
    What does Colt charge? ... any idea?
    ape.jpg
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time I heard, a Colt letter is a minimum of $100... more if they find anything of importance in the records.

The Fox Sterlingworth is not nearly as valueable as those Colts, nor is it as old. The A.H. Fox Sterlingworth shotguns were manufactured from 1905 - 1930.

Bert H.

Real Men use a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!
  • playthingsplaythings Member Posts: 160 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could check out proofhouse.com
    Don't know how accurate their information is and it is certainly not as creditable as a Colt letter, but it's a whole lot cheaper.
    Believe proofhouse.com indicates 1892 DOB.
    Jim