In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

muzzleloader

Xbrandon78XXbrandon78X Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
what would be a good muzzleloader with pretty good range and is also at an affordable price for a 15 year old

Comments

• Xbrandon78XXbrandon78X Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi i was wondering if anybody could help with
    a rifle i have come across it is a .50 cal muzzleloader
    the markings on it are augusthirth enterprise
    pittsburg pa ewm ceaner faust length is 42" it
    is very heavy looks like some sort of target model
    i dont pay much attention to these guns my cousin
    has it and has asked for my help thanks a lot
    edited November -1
    Could someone tell me if you can buy a muzzleloader on gun broker without going through a dealer to buy it
  • hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably a CVA Optima would be about as good as you're gonna get without spending alot. They are really pretty decent rifles for the money, shoot pretty straight, and are easy to clean.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an Optima that I love. For the money, you simply cannot beat it.

"Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it." - Me

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/

EMCFRtn.jpgEMT.jpgCERTnew.jpg
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how big your son is, but my son was 6'2" and 220 pounds at 15.

IMO, Since the lad is so close to manhood it might be better to find a good used Knight or other upper brand muzzle-loader, one that will last a lifetime. 50 caliber is ther most popular but there is nothing wrong with a .45 caliber at all. The modern sabot bullets do a good job out to about 200 yards.

Then the key to success becomes teaching proper shooting by as much practice as can be done. Have him practice Prone, kneeling and a lot of offhand.
  • bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    go to walmart and pick up a TC OMega. will last you forever and will shoot with anything out there. he's on a budget, he probably won't be able to afford the 75-$100 mark-up at the gun shop.......

I'm not an expert, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • music_madnessmusic_madness Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't forget to check your local pawn shops...folks buy these things then realize its not for them. i've seen lots of nice, hardly used front-stuffers of all styles in the shops in my area. i'd shop "small-mart" before i'd go to "the great WALl-of-china-MART". just an opinion.
    PEACE
    tom

..."we're from Pickens; we don't know no better"...
    edited November -1
    how much are the omega's and this for me im 15. lol
  • gunzforevergunzforever Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • gunzforevergunzforever Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not really 44 years old acculaly
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wally World has the TC Black Diamond with starter kit for $150, the Omega is just a little less. Both are fine choices that will last a lifetime. Be Safe and have fun!
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe it's because I'm a graybeard but I don't shoot modern inlines, never will. If you're gonna shoot muzzleloaders, shoot traditional with black powder and cast round ball or bullets. You can find some good deals on CVA or T/C or even Austen Halleck. I got my A-H new as a second for under $350. Contact me if you need info for getting one like mine. Emery

"Well done is better than well said"
    Ben Franklin
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
  • bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think the omega was $279.99 in covington virginia, bout an hour north of salem. probably a few dollars cheaper there. didn't even think about the black diamond, but they did have a good price on the entire kit for it. stick with TC (Thompson/Center) and you will be in good shape.

I'm not an expert, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.