In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser C96

FiremanFireman Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited November 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have a Mauser C96. It is in Great condition about 95%. The gun has very few markings other then the Crown over "AV" on the bottom of the breech and "DV" on the left side of the breech. It is a Italian contract Slab side, or "Flatside". It has the original blueing in Great shape with a few minor wear marks from being carried in it's stock. Unfortunately I don't have the stock! I'm wondering about the lack of markings on this gun? I have seen some with just as few marks! But my question is to why it does not have the marks and numbers in the locations as most non Italian contract ones do? It is a large hole hammer and from all views it looks compleat and original. It is in opperational order "confirmed by a gunsmith". The SN# is 2548, and that is a early to middle number for the Italian contract.

ANY HELP would be Greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Like to see this Broomhandle in person......Sounds to Me like its an Astra 900...This needs a Professional Broomhandle collector's asessment...and the only People that I know or knew could help might be out of business....Try contacting the below and see if they are still in business....Tell'em I told you to call.........

Antique Arms Arsenal
    Sporting Goods Export Co.
    518 South Main
    Rutherford, N.C. 28139
    (704) 287-2818

Yoy may Call Collect: M-F 9:00-6:00 EST;..... 9:00-12:00 EST

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    drsckdrsck Member Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    You are absolutely correct in that the Italian slab-sides don't have a lot of numbers compared to other broomhandles. The reason seems to be that in the midst of filling the Italian contract, Mauser decided to change the numbering system.

If you check Belford and Dunlap, The Mauser Self-Loading Pistol (p. 69-70) you will find the following:
    "In 1899 the first major physical change occured and the smooth sided (Slab Side) made its appearance. ... This major variation occured at the point of production of the Italian Navy Contract. Following a procedure that became a normal practice, serial nubering was reverted to (1) and continued on through number 5,000 for this contract. While serial numbering at this point had ascended to 14,999 .... This gap in serial numbering 14,999 to approximately 20,000 was never filled. The Mauser records show a total of 19,632 pieces produced through 1899, with Italy listed as having received 5,039 pieces during that year (1899). It has to be assumed (the records do not clarify this) that the missing 5,000 numbers between 15,000 and 20,000 are the 5,000 pieces deliverd to the Italian Navy. The letters 'DV' appear on the left side of the breech, and a Crown over the letters 'AV' appear on the underside of the breech on guns delivered to this contract."

There was also a change in the firing pin in the same year, but that should not be relevant for your pistol. What is relevant is that the Italian Slab Side is one of the more well known variations. It is possible that some unscrupulous person took a more common variation and tried to turn it into an Italian Slab Side. However, for most people the amount of work and cost involved would exceed the increase in the value of the firearm. It is still possible. just unlikely. If it is any consolation one of my slab sides has no markings what so ever.
    Hope this helps. Best of luck -- Steve
  • Options
    FiremanFireman Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found out a lot about this gun! It is hard to put it all on here..... Thanks to everyone who has helped me!! It is posted with pic on the gun broker sight for sale if anyone wants to see the gun.

Again Thanks!!!
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    17.jpg
    Speaking of C96s ... here's my
    safe queen!
    chewtwigzz.gif
    Love may be blind but marriage
    is a real eye-opener.