In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

springfield compact?

staind460staind460 Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2005 in Ask the Experts
recently purchased a new carry gun from the local gunshop/range that i belong to.

it was tagged as a sprinfield armory compact lightweight. picked it up out of the used case.

my question is . .. when i looked on the SA website no such pistol is listed. it is close to a champion but it isn't.

the only marckings on the slide are the standard "SPRINGFIELD ARMORY" and SA crest on the right side of the slide and compact ca .45 on the left.

the frame is about a 1/4 inch shorter than that of a full size 1911
if i am not correct the champion has a full size frame.

the barrel is 4 inches of the bull type. it has all the features of a "loaded Gun" . . . beavertail grip safety, flat mainspring, adjustable triger, navack tritium sights ambidexterouse safety etc.

is this a pistol that was discontinued or something?

no matter what it is i am happy with and once i get the correct carry holser it will be a great everyday gun . . . it IS light

thanks for any info guys

____________________________________________________________________________________________
i personaly do not beleive that you need to carry an anti tank rifle for personal protection.

it doesn't matter how big your gun is, it's what you do with it when it counts :)

13 Foxtrot . . .greatest Job in the Army Period

Comments

• Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    is it like mine?....Micro Compact... they just came out with this one not long ago......this is a mill spec work gun.........heavy duty....it was designed for close quarters.......this gun does not have a barrel bushing......it's loose as a goose....made to shoot in all kind of hot-cold weather....sand storms...u can jump in a dust hole and come out shooting......all steel,bull barrel and heavy for it's size but the recoil isn't bad because of the weight of the gun.....excellent for home defense...room to room combat...good carry gun

sp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nope that is not my piece.

mine is a compact not an ultra or micro. it is almost exactly like a champion

____________________________________________________________________________________________
    i personaly do not beleive that you need to carry an anti tank rifle for personal protection.

it doesn't matter how big your gun is, it's what you do with it when it counts :)

• Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the champion has a full size frame with a 3.9" barrel
    the compact has a officers size frame with a 3.9" barrel, both use bull barrels

if you mean the frame is 1/4 in shorter by height, it would take the 6 round officers magazine{you can get 7 rounders}, and very well could be a version of the compact, it may or may not be discontinued, they do not adhere to only the pistols on their web site

pics always help

reloaderror.jpg
  • Options
    HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wallie, I'm taking a close look at that gun. Let me know what you think. Would you buy one again give the opportunity?

Sako Fan
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    YES....i would buy this gun again.....this is no show off gun......strictly business gun.... don't expect to go to the range and try to out shoot you buddy's at 25 yd's...i shot this gun under heavy blankets.... a very hard gun to jam.......comes with a 8 to 12 lb trigger pull which i brought down to 4lbs........we shoot heavy loads of 45 acp and the recoil isn't bad.......has a integral locking system which we don't use because our kids are grown up.

ss.jpg
  • Options
    HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, thanks! That is quite a trigger pull. I am used to under 3 lbs. on my rifles. Had my spring replaced on my Vaquero. But I like the looks of these compacts. I supose it costs a bit to lighten the trigger?

Sako Fan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey all it is indeed a version of the compact.

found it on another site which stated taht SA discontinued it, don't know if thats a good ora bad thing.

it is a springfield armory compact lightweight in .45 the barrel is 3.9 and the frame is the same size as that of a colt officers.

got it for 550ish def don't regret it. has a great crisp trigger pull. accurate and light enough for me to carry it everyday.