In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vulcan AR15

jjgentesjjgentes Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a Vulcan AR15 lower receiver that has been collecting dust for a couple years. I have been told that it's useless and Vulcan went out of business. Should any upper receiver fit or is it just a paper weight? Please advise.

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    jjgentesjjgentes Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anybody know anything about the Vulcan Ar 15 in 223? Good, Bad or Ugly.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Vulcan has an extremely poor reputation for quality, not just with ARs, but with everything that they produced. You can always put an upper receiver on it and sell it at a gun show to some unsuspecting guy walking the aisles [;)]
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    run like hell[:D]
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    If the lower is made to spec you should be able to put another companies upper on it.

I believe Vulcan is now known as Blackthorne.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vulcan was especially known for poor BUILD quality.

The receivers are variable. Some of the older ones were cast (not so good), newer ones are forged, and some of them (supposedly) weren't made by Vulcan at all.

Edit: I've read elsewhere that Vulcans receivers are actually re-branded seconds from Stag. Don't know if its true, and you can consider this an idle internet rumor. Don't know if its true for YOUR receiver (which is older). I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that Vulcan buys whichever receivers it can get cheapest, then labels them itself.

In other words, despite Vulcan's poor reputation, there is at least a reasonably good chance that the receiver is fine.

Resale value will be low with the poor brand reputation, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss the receiver as totally useless without trying it. Unless the receiver is WAY out of spec, you should still be able to hang any upper off of it, and build up the rest of the lower.

You could also just try selling the receiver.

If you don't want to go to much effort listing it, drop me an email and *I'll* buy it from you.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, and welcome to the forums here on Gunbroker.

Vulcan has been known as Blackthorne, and Hesse. They keep changing their name to try to outrun their quality, or lack there of problems. You might get another upper to function on it, but I would not believe it untill I seen it. Like Mark has suggested...put a low budget lower on it and pass it off at a gunshow...then run like a scalded dog.

I would then suggest to stayaway from anything that bears those three name brands.

Best

EDIT 1:

Mobuck,

When you take into account the law of averages, the folks at Blackthorne/Hesse/Vulcan, have a well deserved reputation. You got lucky once. Don't tempt fate...take your chips and cash them in.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not going to argue about quality of the Blackthorne products but I do have one of their uppers which is 100% functional and more accurate than most shooters. Maybe there's a golden egg once in a while. I suggest you put it together and give it a try before trashing it.
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    Use it to build a dedicated .22LR AR rifle.
  • Options
    donut77donutdonut77donut Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Vulcan V15 reciever works fine. YMMV