In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

COLT SWAP

BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt police positive special in 38 special, 4 inch barrel, blue. It is in very good condition, in both finish and function. However I am thinking about a trade for a Taurus ultralite or titanium stub nose revolver for carry.

Is this an even swap?

Comments

• Options
    the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's certainly not a trade I'd make. The Colt is 10x the pistol the Taurus is.
    yooper
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I to would keep, the COLT . Have you ever shot the model Taurus you are thinking about buying . IMHO ultralite Pistols are not fun to shoot . 1/2 the weight =2X the recoil and smaller grips + less square inches of contact to your hand. SHOOT ONE FIRST.
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't do that trade either. Not straight across anyway. If you want a light weight 38 for carry look at the S&W Airweights. Much better choice over the Taurus IMO.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    It is a fantastic trade...For the guy with the Taurus. You are not coming out anything like equal on your end and I'd think twice before going through with the swap.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Bamovol...I have both pistols that you mention, love my PPostive and carry a Taurus Titanium. I agree that you are not getting the best of this deal as I would never trade my PP straight up for my Titanium. Having said that, I love my little Taurus as it is easy to carry, light and, once you get used to it, accurate with .38's. Yes, can be a handful to shoot at first as it is lightweight, but, heck, that is the reason why it is so easy to carry. Some knock Taurus but I have never had a problem with mine and I have run a lot of rounds through it. IMHO, I would keep the Colt and try to work out a deal for the Taurus. Good shooting!
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bamavol
    I have a Colt police positive special in 38 special, 4 inch barrel, blue. It is in very good condition, in both finish and function. However I am thinking about a trade for a Taurus ultralite or titanium stub nose revolver for carry.

Is this an even swap?

I wouldn't buy a Taurus 85 UL....very poor quality. I bought one on the auction side without handling it and sold it quickly because it was very poor quality, cylinder binded up, metal filings from poor fit of cylinder into the frame, and the trigger was very very heavy, and not smooth at all...I should have spent $100 more on a used airweight, much better quality
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replys. I agree with you. I wanted to hear from others. I like my Colt. It was probably made late in the PP series. Very smooth action. However, I do not shoot it often. I also think that I would not shoot a Taurus often. I agree, that I would have to get extra. No even swap.