In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

List of FFLs

mike481mike481 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm new here so if this is on the wrong section please let me know. Basically, I am thinking of getting my FFL and starting a home based business but I want to know how much competition is in the area. I can look up FFLs for verification but that is all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dealers that have put themselves on gunbrokers list.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx
    Also a link there to the Shotgun News list.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The BATFE will provide a complete list of every valid FFL in the United States, but there is a fee...It ain't free. Various advertisers of sporting goods and other firms who do bulk mailings are the major customers for the list, but anyone can purchase it.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    You might check your local business licensing office or zoning baord since those are requirements for an FFL. That's public information.
  • agostinoagostino Member Posts: 414 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to keep in mind that the BATFE can enter the premises where your FFL is located without a warrant to inspect your books, inventory, and, parenthetically, anything on the premises. In other words, I advise everyone contemplating acquiring an FFL to find a business location away from their home or to have/build a detached place that can have an address separate from their home.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike, I found that 75% of the FFLs in my area on the GB list would not really be "competition" for what you have in mind. Most of them are:

1. Out of business
    2. Gunsmiths
    3. Pawn shops
    4. Not open to the public
    5. Have unreasonable prices/policies

As long as you have proper zoning for your residence, base your decision on the bottom line of your business plan.

Neal