In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 1894 Magazine Help

brotus2brotus2 Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
I bought a kind of beater 94, serial # 232419 (1902) in 32WS for a hundred bucks. I bought it because of good rifling and it has a half octagon half round bbl, special order sights front and rear and it has bad refinished (but good) wood.

It comes with a butt magazine that may or may not be original. It has no provision for a front magazine retaining ring, no dove tail no nothing. It does not look like it ever had a front retaining ring (color difference). The magazine comes right to the end of the forearm - does not protrude past it.

Question 1. How long is the spring supposed to be for this magazine?

Question 2. How is the magazine supposed to be retained from flying out under the spring pressure. Are the two screws that attach the front forearm cap supposed to "bite" into the magazine to keep it in place. If so, my two front forearm cap screws are not long enough to do this.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Comments

• the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good grief, it sounds like you got a special order Winchester with at least 4 special order features for $100. WOW!! The half round barrel is usually found with the half magazine, but both are special orders. The sights are also, if original. The SN is early enough you can get a factory letter if you desire. I'm sure Bert will be chiming in and give you the address, which I don't have handy. Congrats on a STEAL of a deal.
    yooper
    edited November -1
    Sorry, missed some. The mag spring will vary with the length of the forearm wood and the mag tube - there were several different lengths. The mag cap is held in place by the rifle's forearm cap.
    yooper
  • brotus2brotus2 Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm hoping Bert can help me. I really need to get this mag fixed so I can go do some serious shooting. I shot it 4 times as a single shot and the 32 Cal is sweet. Thanks for your reply.
    edited November -1
    You can get a mag tube and spring at this GunBroker auction - 148445327. You could cobble up a mag cap till you could get the proper one, but this would get you shooting.
    yooper
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not know what the length of the magazine tube spring is on a button mag Model 1894, as I have never had the opportunity or need to take one of them apart (yet).

It does sound like you have a special order Sporting Rifle. How long is the barrel?

The serial number tells me that it is a 1904 vintage gun (August or September).
    edited November -1
    Bert: The bbl is 26". After further research, it appears the magazine that is with the rifle is a CUT DOWN magazine or it does not have the correct BUTTON end cap.

I still can't figure out how the magazine stays in under the pressure of the spring.
  • BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brotus....Had this same problem on a 92....nothing to stop the spring from pushing the mag tube out. Never got a "real" answer on this forum, so I fabbed my own solution.....with some very careful measurements, I placed a small stainless screw inside the forend tip that caught the rear of the button plug, when drilled and tapped. This screw head also catches the inside lip of the front of the cap, thus retaining the mag in position, as the cap is fixed to the barrel by the two screws to the tenon. Place the stainless screw at the bottom position relative to the tenon, also. When assembled, nothing is noticeable, as the screw is "inside" the forend cap. BT
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brotus2
    Bert: The bbl is 26". After further research, it appears the magazine that is with the rifle is a CUT DOWN magazine or it does not have the correct BUTTON end cap.

I still can't figure out how the magazine stays in under the pressure of the spring.

The button end cap of the magazine should have a flange on it, which comes in contact with the inner side of the forend cap. It is the forend cap that keeps the magazine tube in place. Can you post a picture of the button end cap that you have?

The 26" barrel is standard for a rifle.
    edited November -1
    Buckawho: Thanks! Sounds like a good plan. I'll look at it tomorrow and if I have any questions I'll post here. Thanks again.
    edited November -1
    Bert: The magazine end cap is the same FLAT end cap with screwdriver slot as all my other levers with FULL magazine. I'll take the forearm cap off tomorrow and see what you're talking about. Thank you.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brotus2
    Bert: The magazine end cap is the same FLAT end cap with screwdriver slot as all my other levers with FULL magazine. I'll take the forearm cap off tomorrow and see what you're talking about. Thank you.

I can already tell you that you have the incorrect type magazine end cap, and that your suspicions about it being cut down from a longer length are very likely to be the case. The correct magazine end cap should be rounded with no slot in it (see the picture below)

WinchesterButtonmag.jpg