In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rossi Model 88 Gunsmith Question

bk0331bk0331 Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a Rossi Model 88. The piece malfunctions as follows. Muzzle down, the trigger will turn the cylinder in both double and single action. Muzzle up, the cylinder will not turn in either mode. I believe the problem has to do with the "hand" not turning the cylinder. Is there a spring that keeps pressure on the hand, or does it float inside the frame? Does it protrude at all times, or just during cocking? Any other ideas or suggestions?
Thanks.
Bruce

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your gun was imported by Taurus, I'd send it to them.

Otherwise, the only gunsmith who has Rossi parts is:
    M&M Gunsmithing
    204 S. Union St
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    703-739-2150
    mail@mmgunsmithing.com

I'd give him a call; if he can't help you over the phone, I'm sure he'd be glad to fix it for you.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's an older model, imported by Interarms. Parts availability is not a problem. Numrich has them available. I am just not sure if anything is broken or not. It was so hard to cycle that I decided to clean it first. I took it apart and it was pretty gunked up. When I put it back together I noticed the cylinder malfunction. I do not remember it being a problem before disassembly, but I didn't work the action much. When I did, it seemed okay. So, I just want to be sure I'm not overlooking anything.
  • Options
    cwshootcwshoot Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes the hand is spring loaded. I think it is in the side plate. Should be aciol spring and unger. If so make sure the plunger is behind the hand.
    That' s what I remeber last time had one in my shop.
    If no plunger then there is a spring on hand.
    Either way it is spring loaded.
    CEW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Success! I had to remove the trigger to find the spring, it was inside the groove and really hard to see. Had a helluva time getting it back together, not a lot of room in there. It gave me a renewed feeling of appreciation to the folks who invented the thing.
    Thanks for the help.