In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W harvey .224 kay-chuk

marcus396marcus396 Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
i got a revolver given to my father from my uncle before he passed away and was wanting to find out some info.

on right side of frame under grip is Bennett gun works delmar NJ and bottom of frame K 270xxx left side of frame stamped P

it has 6" bbl and says 22 long rifle ctg and above that is harvey .224 kay-chuk and right side of frame is 2 screws above trigger matching serial number on bbl cylinder and yoke i swing out cylinder and on frame is stamped P 39I89 or P 39189 with a 31 stamped on cylinder swing out arm it has a leupold M8-2x extended ER rifle scope with buehler base

i am not familiar with smith and wesson handguns and cannot find model number stramped anywhere i presume its a m 17 k masterpiece
and limited production of around 300 but thats from unconfirmed sources.

my question what model is this and what ammo can i shoot from this, can i still shoot 22 lr or do i have to have 224 custom made. thank you very much.

Comments

• Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    marcus,

Your revolver is a Smith & Wesson K-22 Masterpiece (also known as a pre-M17)

It was manufactured in 1956 (S&W did not start numbering the models of their guns until 1957)

It was evidently rechambered for the wild cat "224 kay-chuk"

Do a google search on "224 kay chuk" & you will get better info. than I can relate here.

The 224 kay-chuk is an improved version of the 22 Hornet. Whether or not your gun is the commonly found K-hornet or something similar, only a chamber cast will tell. (I would reccomend you have a gun- smith check & test fire it. By fire forming a case, he can tell the chamber dimentions)

Jim

Edit; www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w224hkc.html
  • Options
    badsbsnf81badsbsnf81 Member Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    Sn dates to 1956. Brass is made from 22 Hornet, OAL 1.6" using .223 Hornet projectiles. You will need to reload for it.
    Bennet Guns made @ 300 of them
  • Options
    marcus396marcus396 Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks so much for the info. i looked at it and told him, this looks like something special and i thought that a gunsmith of my uncles did the work until i googled it. seems like they made several models for this caliber. i did find a couple that sold for auction for 1160 and 1230 and this is no where near mint probably around 70% or less when my dad last seen it, it was like new condition myu uncles health deteriorated over the last few years of his life and let things slip but its a shooter and will always be a keepsake for me and my father. thanks again for the info i would of never found. take care and happy hollidays.