In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 10/22 problems

partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
My Son's 10/22 is having problems and I can't figure out the exact problem. I know there are plenty of 10/22 owners out there that everything about these fine little rifles, so please help.

1)Standard .22 LR ammo.
2)tried several mags with same results.
3)Extractor pulls every empty case, but many of these cases stovepipe, and fail to completely leave the rifle.
4)This problem seems worse with a full mag, but happens often with any amount of ammo.

Thanks for any, and all help!!!

Comments

• Options
    partsmanpartsman Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure your extractor has a lot of tension and your extractor is not bent or broken.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Use HV ammo. Or change recoil spring.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    This is a common problem on 10-22s. Replace the extractor with a good aftermarket part. These are around $10.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd try these things, in order:

a. Clean gun thoroughly. This requires removing the action from the stock and disassembling it, though that's not particularly difficult.

b. Try high velocity ammo.

c. Swap extractor for hardened/"custom" one (runs about $10 and is easy swap).
  • Options
    gunprofitgunprofit Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me like the bolt velocity is being slowed down. Absolutely the first thing to do is complete disassembly, clean and lube.

Next try different ammo. I know I have had trouble recently with some of the low cost Walmart 22s.

I doubt that it is the extractor since you say that it pulls the case out but doesn't always eject. You can verify that by manually working the bolt with a magazine full of ammo.

Yep, if I were a betting man, I would bet that a good cleaning would correct this problem. This was pressed home to me 44 years ago. I was 11 years old and my Dad bought me a Ranger 22 semi-auto. It shot great and functioned flawless for about 2 months. Then it started jamming on me. I asked a WWII Marine for help. He took one look at it and said "Clean it". That was problem, and I never forgot his words of wisdom. Ever since, when problems occur, that's where I start.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    One thing to look at as you clean the gun, is the two allen screws that hold the barrel to the action. Make sure they are tight, I learned this by experiance.
    W.D.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    One thing to look at as you clean the gun, is the two allen screws that hold the barrel to the action. Make sure they are tight, I learned this by experiance.
    W.D.

Just don't overtighten the two screws. You can break the Barrel retainer V block. In fact you might check to see if it is broken.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    My vote is two possible things: needs a good cleaning and 2 is use HV ammo.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all of you for your input. Everybody seems to give fairly identical solutions, and I will try them all.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    my daughters 10/22 only likes fact mags, i have trouble with most all others eagle being the worst of all[xx(]
    Butler's are pretty good