In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

walther 380 clones

pabloescobarpabloescobar Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
i am looking for a good quality walther clone, of course qulity, interchangability, and accuracy are a must. i had my eye on a bersa, any opinions would be appreciated-

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    The FEG pistols are pretty cheap and fairly well made. You get what you pay for.

My only choice for a Walther clone would be a licensed Manhurin.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    another thing i forgot to mention is the fact that i plan on purchasing a threaded barrel for this weapon, the manufacturer of the barrel states that it is made for a walther so i hope to purchase a pistol that can accept a walther barrel , if at all possible.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that it is unlikely that you will find a Walther clone that is close enough to a Walther that it can use a Walther-spec barrel.

In any case, my PPK's all had the barrels semi-permanently mounted to the frame. There must be a technique known to gunsmiths, but I couldn't figure out how to R & R a barrel without ruining the gun.

Neal
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Hola Pablo, This project is a lot more difficult than the barrel exchange for your Taurus 9mm. As mentioned there will not be any clones that will readily accept this Walther barrel, you will have to either use an original Walther or one of the licensed copies. The only two licensed models readily available would be either a USA made Walther manufactured for Interarms or one of the Manhurin pistols that moderator Nunn mentioned. Anything made elsewhere will be of questionable deminsions. Bersa would be out of the question unless you wanted to remanufacture the entire pistol to fit this barrel.

Neal Myers, one of the clearer thinkers here at GB, brought up a very valid point in that it is VERY DIFFICULT to remove a barrel from a PP/PPK pistol. There is a cross pin holding the barrel in the receiver, but even driving that out will have no effect as these barrels are very tightly fitted. The pistol will function fine without that pin- but that is NOT RECOMMENED! You will need a gunsmith to remove the barrel and he will also have to instal the new barrel as it will need fitting. An easier plan of action would be to simply have your existing barrel threaded- it will be less expensive in the long run. Viva Colombia, Viva Juan Pablo Montoya, viva Williams/BMW!

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    muchas gracias amigos por todo!
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can buy a small barrel press for removing and replacing a PPK or other blowback pistol's barrel for about $30. Would I replace a non Walther product with a barrel meant for Walther only? No, I would not. But there are other similar guns for which replacement barrels (even in alternate calibers) are available (Makarov comes to mind).