In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BEST SCOPE AND MOUNT COMBO FOR M1 CARBINE

TheWifeIsOutTheWifeIsOut Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
Deer hunting out to 200yds max?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I mounted a Leupold M8 -2X extended eye relief scope on the barrel with a B-Square clamp mount, and it performed well at the 100 yd range I limited it to. I only needed to ruin a handguard by cutting a slot at the top.

But, I can't recommend the .30 cal carbine for deer, even in those states where it is legal. This cartridge is no better than the .357 magnum, and I don't think that either round delivers enough energy to humanely kill deer.

If you are determined to use it, limit your shots to 50 yds.

Neal
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, 200 yards is too far for either accuracy or killing power for a carbine. And there is no good scope for one. A scope will throw off the balance and handiness of a carbine.
  • Options
    TheWifeIsOutTheWifeIsOut Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yA, 200yds WAS PERHAPS AN EXAGERATION. 50-100yds WOULD BE SAFER. I AM CONCERNED TO HEAR THAT A SCOPE MAY THROW OFF THE BALANCE OF THE WEAPON, HOWEVER. I WAS PLANNING ON HANDLOADING SOME SOUPED UP ROUNDS FOR HUNTING TOO.