In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR QUESTION

MAGOO62MAGOO62 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
What does a forward assist do? Who do some have one and other dont?

dgac

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    how tight in foot pounds do you tighten a ar barrel?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking at AR's in the $850 range. I want the full legnth standard AR. No tacktical stuff, just a standard AR.

I have looked at Armalite & bushmaster so far, but am open to others too.

My question is: Which brand in this price range would you all recomend? And why?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I AM LOOKING TO BUY AN AR CLONE, THEY ARE GIVING ME A CHOICE OF AN A2 UPPER W/ SIGHTS OR THE FLATTOP UPPER, WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT CONFIGS FOR AND SHOULD I CHOOSE ONE OVER THE OTHER?

THANKS
  • Options
    GPWEAPONGPWEAPON Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you going to use it for? If for target/plinking/hunting/defence I would choose the flat top for the ease and correct height of various optics for the applications mentioned. If you think you might ever want to shoot High Power Compition go for the A2. you should also get the 1-7" twist to take advantage of all ammo available in that caliber. I started with the flat top then had a A2 upper built later for comp.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The flat top upper offers a much wider range of options if you choose to mount a scope or other optics. If you go with the A2 you are limited to pretty much whatever will mount to the carry handle, although there are some mounts available for the A2 that would allow you to place a red-dot, or simular, forward of the handle. Any scope using the carry hanle will no doubt be too high up to allow for a good cheek weld to the buttstock- you'll need a to attach a cheek rest (Choate comes to mind) to get your head up to the scope.

If you go with the flat top you can either use the standard rail and Weaver style rings on the receiver top, or add a base of your own, like an ARMS base, and attach whatever optics you please using that company's rings. ARMS has a very nice unit that not only offers a full length rail (available even longer than standard if you need extra space) it also comes with a nifty pop-up rear sight. When the scope is in use the sight folds out of the way. Remove the optics and throw a lever and up pops your rear sight. I have this same unit on one of my Colt LE AR-15's and it is a fine set up.

Don't forget; if you still want to you can easily add an optional carrying handle to a flat top receiver. These handles simply attach to the rail on to receiver top and are secured with two large thumbscrews. They are easy on and off and you can also mount optics to the detachable carry handle if you choose. I say buy the flat top and a detachable carry handle and you'll be ready for every situation.

Mark T. Christian