In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gunsmithing

gunluv280gunluv280 Member Posts: 178 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
I posted this on the General Discussion Board but it probably belongs here instead--forgive my screw-up (I've been away for a while)

I'd like to learn some basic-intermediate gunsmithing in order to be able to restore old military firearms and do more of the repair, maintenance, and customizing on my guns. I don't have the time or money to attend an in-residence gunsmithing school, so I was wondering if anybody had any books, video courses, etc. they could recommend that would help me.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for anyone that does work on Polytech M14S. All i want is to put a heavy barrel on it, and whatever that intels(convert to a USGI bolt?). If you have any great referances, please pass them on. I am a member of the m14 firing line, and warbird is backup, so that is why i am asking around.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can you guys recommend a good gunsmithing course?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I need a tap and die 1/2 x 32.

Does anyone know where this can be had?
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    AGI (American Gunsmithing Institute) has put out quite a few videos on how to work on specific guns. Jerry Kuhnhausen's "Shop Manuals" are worth having. J.B.Wood's series of books on firearms assembly/disassembly are good, as is the Gun Digest Book of Exploded Firearms Drawings. It has been my experience that although some of the old standards like "The Modern Gunsmith" by James V. Howe and "Gunstock Finishing and Care" by A. Donald Newell may contain some pearls of wisdom, materials and the methods for using them have changed to the point that these books would be far down my list. You should be able to derive quite a bit of "how-to" knowledge by reading back though all of the available posts on this forum; and we'll be happy to help you with specific questions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Der Gebirgsjager--Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check these out.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Send me your email address and I will send you a list of my publications and videos on subject of old gun restoration, all produced in-house.
    Robert McCrory, email rhmc24@swbell.net