In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SKS Bayonet Mount and ATF Rules

fourdeesfourdees Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
Since I can not leave the bayonet mounted on a Norinco imported SKS, can I remove the mount lugs without damaging the rifle? Also, can anyone point me to a web site, publication, etc., that spells out the SKS rules with interpetation by a lawyer? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cannot give you a legal answer, but for practical purposes, it goes like this. The earlier imports (I do not know how to identify) were virtially unlimited. They came with bayonet, both blade and spike, and it was legal to alter them for AK mags, folding stocks etc. A later group could not hasve the bayonet, BUT the mount was left intact. The final ruling required that the bayonet lug be removed. This was generally done by rough grinding it off.
    One of the strangest things is that the European SKS, has NOT been restricted and are even classed as C&R !!!
    My advice would be to leave it alone. First of all you would be destroying a bit of history. Second, there are some bipods and other accessories that mount on the lug. Finally sometime in the future, some "less of an idiot bureaucrat" will rescind the nonsense of the "more of an idiot"
    that set up these rules
    Have fun, be careful
    Morty