In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WINCHESTER MODEL 12, 12 GUAGE

DABEARSDABEARS Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO DETERMINE WHICH MODEL 12 I HAVE AND WHAT IT IS WORTH? IT HAS A PLAIN STOCK AND A RIBBED HEAT SHIELD ON THE BARRELL. I'VE SEEN SEVERAL PICTURES OF THEM ON THE .NET BUT NONE OF THEM HAVE THE SAME SLIDE AS MINE. IT LOOKS MORE LIKE A SLIDE THAT WOULD HAVE COME ON A POLICE ISSUE. I HAVE TAKEN IT TO SEVERAL GUN SHOPS, ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT I WILL NEVER BUY A FIREARM FROM THEM...THEY ARE THE DUMBEST PEOPLE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! ONE GUY TOLD ME IT WASN'T A MODEL 12, UNTIL I POINTED OUT THE WINCHESTER MODEL 12 ENGRAVING ON IT! IT DOES HAVE A LONG BARRELL SO IT ISN'T A POLICE ISSUE AND IT ONLY HOLDS 2 SHELLS AND ONE IN THE CHAMBER. I RECENTLY AQUIRED THIS WEAPON FROM MY STEPFATHER. HE DOESN'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT OTHER THAN HIS FRIEND BOUGHT IT ABOUT ABOUT 35-40 YEARS AGO. SO SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might be a trap gun? None of my model 12's have a ventlated rib though
    get the 2002 gun blue book. the slide should have groves in it. the blue book will resolve most issues.

NRA Life Endowment Member
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the gun only holding two shells in the mag is probably because it has a plug in it for water foul hunting......hunting water fowl you are only allowed to have three shells in the gun max.
    doc
  • Options
    rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 186
    edited November -1
    There isn't enough info in your post to determine value. Winchester used 3 basic slide handles; early 16 and 20 ga. guns have slide forends that are 5 and 1/8 in. long with 14 grooves; 12 ga. guns have 7 in. forends with 18 grooves. You will find 16 and 20 ga. guns with the longer handles, and 12 ga. guns with shorter forends - but they are rare and really don't add anything to the value of the gun. The next set of forends were 5 and 7/8 in. long for the small guns, still with 14 grooves. This forend was flatened a bit on the bottom and usually found on s/n 32000 to 180000. After about s/n 180000 the forend is round and extends past the metal retainer to the rear. They also used an extension slide handle which extended further to the rear and was on specail order guns. These forends varied in measurements because they were custom order. Winchester also offered checkering/carving on the forends.
    I wouldn't attempt to value your gun without seeing it, if you could post some of the s/n it's easy to date it for it you.