In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1903/Garand Bayonet Rehab

kidsgunkidsgun Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a 10 inch bayonet (actually the blade measures 10 1/8") for my 1903 and Garand. Whoever did the cutdown did a horrible job. It's dated 1906 and worth proper restoration in my opinion. Is there anyone out there that takes these in and reworks the points and parkerizes? Thanks for your input, Bill

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't do this work.....but tell me more, because I am a collector and appreciator of things militaria. Which cut down is it? Spear point? Bowie? Why is it a bad job? You should see some of the Korean cut-downs to 5" I bought. NOW THERE is a bad job!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DG, It appears to be "rounded." It isn't a bad job, just not a sharpened point. The bottom edge has also been sharpened slightly. It is not, in my inexperienced opinion, a collectible piece, but could become a relatively proper example of early bayos with the sn, bomb, date, etc. I found two in an antiques shop, combined pieces (handle, bayo release) and have a potentially (I think) semi-correct piece of military history to accompany my 1903 and Garand. Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree and should leave well-enough alone and live with what I have. Thoughts? Thanks, Bill
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, Bill, I think your latter statement may be correct. Afterall, it is what it is. And the cut down bayonets are a legitimate version of the bayonet, and collectable the way they are. If one sets out to collect all the variations of the 1903 Springfield bayonet they will eventually wind up with a whole wall full, and none really less legitimate than any of the others. As for being sharpened--I bought a couple of the 10 inchers from Denmark via SOG a couple of years ago, and although manufactured originally as the 10 inch version they appeared unsharpened. I know that bayonets made later for M1 Rifles and Carbines, and the M-14 Rifle, scabbards were issued in some instances that sharpened the edge a little just by inserting and removing the blade; but I do not know if similar scabbards were ever issued for the Springfield bayonets. Anyway--I'd leave it alone.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DG, I thank you for your insight, experience and advice. I think you've probably taken a good position that makes sense. Leave well enough alone and enjoy what I have because it'll never be as new/reworked. Thanks, Bill