In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44 Mag Reloading Question

boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
I've got some old reloads given to me from a gunsmith when I bought one of his personal guns. Two boxes have the following notation:

44 Mag, 9 grains Unique, 235 gr. hollow point, Dec. 8th 1965
&
44 Mag, 17 grain 2400, 1275 ft/sec, 235 gr. Keith H.P. Dec. 8th 1965

I understand everything but the powder info. and the "Keith hollow points". Keith was not his name but maybe a friend? as the bullets look hand molded, or honestly they looked machined.

Old stuff, hate to shoot it up but how hot a load have I got?

P.S. The gun I bought from him was a mint but slightly modified Ruger Blackhawk manufactured in October of 1962. "Engine turned" or nowadays jeweled hammer, custome grips, flourescent insert front sight, millet rear.

Them ducks is wary.

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keith bullets were designed by the late Elmer Keith, who was also instrumental in the development of the .44 magnum cartridge. If the loads are what the labels say they are, they are well beneath maximum and should be safe to shoot. The problem is that there are never any guarantees when shooting someone else's handloads, especially when they have been kicking around that long, and the possibility exists that they have found their way into a different box and aren't what they are represented to be. Personally, I would break down a least a couple of rounds from each box and examine and weigh the powder to assure myself that they are as labelled.
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you sir, with guns the older the better but with reloads, not so sure older is better.

Them ducks is wary.