In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Auto 5, 20 guage Question

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a question regarding a Browning Automatic 5, 20 gauge, shell 3" 28, made by Browning arms company Morgan, Utah & Montreal P.Q. , Serial number: 73X50337. Barrel number: X56217

The problem is: The extractor pulls the empty shell backwards, but the shell is not ejected out of the gun.

There is a place at the end of the barrel on the extractor's side where there is a spring, into which one end of the spring is inserted with (I think) some sort of a pin. I think that pin has something to do with diverting the path of the empty shell and pushing it out of the gun with the help of the extractor.

The other end of the spring has also some sort of a pin which is held in place by a little groove inside the barrel.

What I think is missing are two pieces at the ends of the spring. The only thing I have is the gun and the spring. Am I correct? If so, where can I find the pieces?

It's not what you know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know that just ain't so!
Resident Pyrrhonist

Comments

• Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    I'm really not too sure what you're referring to, but let's start with A-5 basics...

There is no extractor that "pulls" the shell anywhere. The A-5's recoil forces the barrel rearwards where the extractor catches the spent shell and stops it as the barrel moves back into battery. No ejection can take place until the barrel clears the ejection port.
    A lot of things happen as this takes place, but the simplistic answer is that everything remains on hold while that barrel cycles.

Unless you're missing a component, the usual cause for ejection problems is an incorrect setting of the friction rings, or lack of lubrication, or oxidized oil that causes sticking.

Nord
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hairy...

I will add a bit to what Nord said with this... your A-5 was made in 1973, and it does not have it's original barrel on it. The most likley cause of your problem is that the friction ring is set for Magnum loads, and you are shooting standard or light loads in it.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!