In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which 45 - - - Les Baer or Kimber???

bigbeebigbee Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
Hello, and thanks everyone for your knowledge and opinions. I am looking to upgrade to one of the above 1911's. I have had Colt's and a Springfield in the past and am looking for better accuracy. Does anybody have firsthand experience with Les Baer and Kimber? How does an $800 -- $1000 Kimber compare to a $1300 -- $1500 Baer equipped with basically the same options? Are the Les Baers that much more accurate to command $500 more? I had a Springfield "Loaded" model that had the match barrel, etc., etc. and it shot terrible for not only me but other more accomplished shooters. Thanks very much for your ideas and opinions in advance !! I appreciate it.
Bigbee

Comments

• Options
    maggiethecatmaggiethecat Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    k
    i
    m
    b
    e
    r

SGT USMC
    SSGT USAF
    The greatest happiness is to see your enemy scattered before you, to see his village in ashes, and to gather to your bed his wives and daughters.-Genghis Khan 1226
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you mean by it shot terrible?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its doesn't sound right that a springfield is terribly inaccurate. I've shot several myself, and they have an excellent repuatation. And what I'm thinking is that you maybe had one that needed to be sent back to the factory, or that the ammo you were using was either bad or of poor quality.

Both Kimber and Les Baer are good guns. But so is Springfield Armory. Para Ordnance and Wilson Combat are all repuatable 1911 type handgun producers. Les Baer and Wilson are rather expensive high end manufacturers on the market. Kimber, Para Ordnance, Colt, Springfield Armory are kind of the mainstream with both entry level and high end models available. Even Smith & Wesson is starting to produce a 1911 type pistol this year.

Its the shooter not the gun that places the holes in the target. I can shoot a match with my $1200 custom STI Limited gun and shoot the same match with my stock $500 Glock and will still have somewhere around the same score.
  • Options
    bigbeebigbee Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leeblack...
    I probably overstated the way the Springfield shot. By terrible, I meant not up to expectations of what I thought a gun with "match" barrel, trigger, etc. should do. Five different people shot the gun and 2 of them are very good shooters. They both complained about the trigger and the inability of the gun to shoot tighter groups -- about 4 to 4 1/2 inches and larger with several types of ammo. (25 yds.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hmmm... Sounds like it shot pretty good to me. 4" groups at 25yds with factory ammo is great. The trigger, like most factory triggers probably need to have a routine trigger job done by a local gunsmith, but other than that for a $500 4" at 25yds is good. I bet if you put a good handload through it you could cut that down to 3" or less. I mean what more do you really want?

You will get better performance by spending more money on a custom gun, yes. But do you really need or even want that. I'm sorry, but when I spend $2470 on that Les Baer Ultimate Master, I'm going to be a little finicky about shooting it? And thats what you will have to spend to get 3 1/2" groups at 50yards.

What exactly are you looking for a gun to do?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not trying to rouse you or anything, its just that I see people all the time go out and waiste all kinds of money on some high dollar equiptment to learn a hard lesson.

I think you SHOULD be very happy with a Kimber. But I think you should have been pretty happy with the Springfield also. I would have.
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A base loaded Springfield is not really a custom gun, but really a very good starting point if you want it turned into one. If you are looking for accuracy, Springfields and Kimbers around the $1000 and up price are much closer to a custom, high accuracy point. You can't do much better out of the box on a 1911 than one of them, but a Les Baer is probably going to be a bit tighter.

A lot will depend on what type of shooter you want--a match gun or carry 1911. If you are serious, you can't go wrong with a 1911 from any of them.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently got a Kimber Stainless Target II in 10mm and it shoots pretty good. It is my first 1911 style gun so maybe I am not the best shot. It will outshoot my Glock 20 that I've had since '93 - but not by much. The trigger is really sweet and the Kimber just feels right in the hand. I can't tell ya about the others, the Kimber was the most I am willing to spend on a handgun (~$975)...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    The Baer is probably the best gun of the two. Once you get to a certain point MINOR improvements in accurcy start costing bigger bucks. That is why I say the Baer is probaly going to be better thaqn one of the 'production' guns from the major manufacturers.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I own a Kimber CDP Pro, Kimber Custom Classic Target, and a Les Baer Premier II. The Kimbers are fine production guns, but there is no comparison in fit and quality to the Les Baer. The Baer is the tightest fitting 1911 I have ever shot and it will feed anything. I looked at the top end Kimbers and Springfields before I bought the Baer. There is no comparison and it does not have one of the new add on internal safety systems that everybody is adding. It cost me $1350 plus tax back in July and I think it was a bargin. I was going to build a gun, but you can't do it for the money.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned a Kimber Gold Match for almost 5 years. It will shoot 2.5" or less at 25 yards with every load I have tried. My friend and I have worked up a couple of loads that consistantly group around 1" in my GM and his Custom.

Baer makes a very nice .45. I have only had the opportunity to fire one a few years back. It was very accurate and well made.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....