In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 1901

bennydodahbennydodah Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
Smokeless powder OK?

Comments

• bennydodahbennydodah Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a 10 gauge Winchester Model 1901. Does anybody know which type of shells it takes? I don't know much about old shotguns and, although I want to shoot it, I have a hunch that it doesn't take the 3 1/2" shells commercially available. Thank you.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Benny... very good hunch!

The Model 1901 was made to shoot 2 7/8" smokeless powder shells, and those were low pressure smokeless shells. It is possible to find shells for it through specialty ammo makers (especially those that cater to the Cowboy Action Shooters), but it will not be cheap.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe it was originally made for the 2 5/8" shell length. Not sure if that length shell is still readily available?
    One saving grace though, is that it was brought out as a improved version of the Model 1887, specifically for smokeless powder shells.
    The above paragraph is per "Flayderman's Guide" and it goes without saying, he knows what he's talking about.
    edited November -1
    Rufe-snow...

2 5/8" is the 12 ga. shell length for a Winchester Model 1887 or an early Model 1897. The 10 ga. loading was always 2 7/8" for the both the Model 1887 and 1901.

Bert H.

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got that reference to 2 5/8" length, 10 Gauge shells from "Cartridges of the World", 7th Edition.
    Granted, nobody's infallible, and there is always a possibility of a typo. BUT I've always had great faith in Barnes/Bussard's reference for accuracy. Especially since it had gone through (6) previous editions.
    edited November -1
    Rufe-snow...

This is one case where Barnes did not provide enough information in his otherwise fantastic book.

Winchester never used the older 2 5/8" 10 ga. cartridge. My reference is "The History of Winchester Firearms 1866-1992" by Thomas Henshaw, "The Winchester Book" by George Madis, Fjestad's "Blue Book of Gun Values", Flayderman's Guide To Antique American Firearms", and a few other reference books that I own.

Bert H.