In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help on dads old winchester 94 3030

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a winchester 94 30-30 that belonged to my father,it is a little odd and just wanted some info on it, if it could be had.It has a saddle ring and is scroll ingraved on both sides of the receiver,it has a round barrel,metal stock plate and barrel bands like a pre-64 but the serial # is too high "27966xx". I have looked at all the auction sites for years and never seen one like it.It is made like a pre-64 in all ways inside and out except for the high serial #.Its in about 80% condition never been reblued or modified.Any help would be much appreciated,,,,,thanks

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sharpshooter...

The partial serial number you posted suggests that it was made in late 1964, which is close enough to the break point that it may have been made with pre-64 parts. It sounds to me like it may be a "special" order SRC that would have come out of Winchester's Custom shop. If so, it would also explain why it "looks" like a pre-64 gun. One thing is for sure... the engraving is not normal, nor is the saddle ring. Realistically, your 94 needs to be apprasied in hand buy someone qualified to do so. It could potentially be quite valuable if it is an authentic special order Carbine with Winchester engraving.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most probably a post-'64 commemerative rifle - Winchester made a bunch of them for various events - Buffalo Bill, Pony Express, etc. Don't have a Winchester book per se, so can't look up all the special event rifles made.

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Options
    2xbyu2xbyu Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The post 64 model 94 began with serial# 2,700,000

Check out the Blue Book " Winchester Model 94 Antique Cabine" MFG 1964-83

Discription; similar to standard, with scroll on receiver, case hardened, gold-plated saddle ring.

Blue Book 100% $250.

Can,t say if this is your winchester, just what I found in the blue book.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the answers,,i went to oldguns.net and dated it it was made in 1963 so i did a little more research and found out it came out of the custom shop so i guess now i need to spend a little money and try to get a letter on it,,,,,thanks