In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ar15 what brand and why

kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
Hello i have been looking at the ar15 and have decided to get one , i notice alot of differant brand names the 3 that are in my price range are dpms,olympic and bushmaster im looking to spend 800 or less can any one tell me the differances in these brands or recommend one thanks

Comments

• Options
    4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I can only comment on the Bushmaster. I have the shorty carbine and love it. I gave $740 for it but I have seen them cheaper than that a few months ago. They have a camo version but they are sometimes hard to get. I have had no problems with it other than for some reason,it does not like Winchester(white box) ammo. This ammo will turn it into an expensive single shot rifle.

"bbroygbvgw"
  • Options
    SUNRIVERSUNRIVER Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love olympic AR-15's. Cant beat their lifetime warrenty.

Building a lower and buying a completed upper cost around $500 but then again a Olympic cost about 625$

Pain is weaness leaving the body
  • Options
    wm69wm69 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out AR15.com for a ton of info on the AR. I suggest getting a bushy, oly, or eagle arms (made by Armalite) stripped lower for $100, and then buy a kit from JT for $450. It takes about an hour to assemble the lower (not too hard, instructions on ar15.com, and you get a working knowledge of your lower's internals in case you have to make a repair), and the upper goes on with two pins and you're ready to go. I had a bushy lower with a JT upper and it was as good as my friends factory bushy in fit, finish, appearance, and accuracy/ reliability. It'll save you a couple hundred to buy mags and ammo with. If you do go this route, make sure you get a kit from a reliable vendor (JT, Model1sales) and stay away from ASA (American Spirit Arms) and Hesse/Vulcan which are just garbage.
  • Options
    SUNRIVERSUNRIVER Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model1sales is a good vendor, $400 for a basic kit and 450ish for a varmiter. Great customer service too

Pain is weaness leaving the body
  • Options
    Chris78Chris78 Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was looking at the varminter kits at model1, and was wondering why they only offer these kits with SS barrels? Just from what I read on here I get the impression that they (SS) are less accurate. So why offer a varminter only in SS? Why does the SS affect accuracy, and is this factor somewhat exagerated or what?
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a bushmaster have no complaints about it.. but have not been around any others
    i have the 20" hbar shoots a moa easy for me
  • Options
    chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bushmaster or Colt!!!!!!!!! Good names good weapons and good resale value.
  • Options
    ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have the limited run camo bushmaster. i have had zero malfunctions on this rifle and am very happy with it. it also doubles as a short range groundhog rig with the sightron red dot tactical on the handle. i'm sure other brands are comparible(dpms,r&r etc.). if you have a friend with an ffl, you can get a nice bushy for 750-850 for an a2/a3 version.
  • Options
    dotcom_guy30dotcom_guy30 Member Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    colt because of resale

the thing that scares me is that we could be living in someone else's own reality