In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1 Garand

jailermanjailerman Member Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I just got a correct grade M1 from CMP. I don't know a whole lot about them, I field stripped it and cleaned it by using the instructions included. Everything looks great. I was wondering though, the instruction say I should have it looked over by an experienced gunsmith before firing. Is this just a c.y.a. statement, aren't these rifles headspaced and test fired? Thanks, John

Comments

• jailermanjailerman Member Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just purchased my first Springfield M1 Garand at a gun show. It is an arsenal rebuild and I probably paid too much for it. but it is a piece of history. The action is dated 1942 and the barrel is 1950. The stock on the riffle is UGHY Beach or Burch and needs to be replaced. My question is should I look for an old military stock w/proof marks and cartouches or just find one from Gunparts or Boyds? If someone knows where to find a military at a good price let me know?
    edited November -1
    Would it be easier to build a garand or to by one?
    edited November -1
    Looking for a source to researh serial a M1 Garand serial number. The serial number is 11815 if anyone has the info handy. Thanks

shenandoahbiz@aol.com
    edited November -1
    What number would represent excessive "throat errosion" in an M1 Garand? ie what is "unusable?"
    edited November -1
    Can anyone please tell me what an A stamp on a garand stock means?There are no other markings on the stock and the serial number dates it to February 1945.
    Thanks for the help
    edited November -1
    I have been thinking of purschasing an m1 garand through the CMP. I have hear that commerical ammunition can damage the m1 rifle over time. I don't reload. My question is what kind of commerical ammunition can I use in the m1? I am thinking of using it for hunting and for target shooting. I am aware that you can purschase military ammo from the CMP and would think about doing this. I just want to make sure that I can purschase ammo that is safe from another source in case the CMP's ammo dries up. Also, any comments on the CMP m1 rifles would be apreciated. Thanks for the replies!
    edited November -1
    Was the M1 Garand produced only in semi-auto or was there a selectfire full auto version?
    edited November -1
    I am thinking about buying a M1 Garand, Winchester, #1237132.

Would appreciate it if anybody can provide date of manufacture.

Thanks

BE QUICK - BE DEADLY!!!
    edited November -1
    Can any one help me to decipher the markings on an M1 garand?I understand in order to place a proper value on it I must first understand these. Direction to a website covering this topic would be great.
    edited November -1
    Friend has a Nat Ord M1 garand. Some parts look GI others look new manufactured. IE barrel, receiver, etc. When were these made and by who? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Looked at and M1 Garand today that I know very little about that was at a local flea market for $350.00. The receiver said made in USA by C. A. I. The woman that was selling it said that it was in good working order. The stock didn't have any cracks in it and didn't look to awful rough. I noticed it looked like it had a new barrel on it, but the receiver didn't look new. Also didn't see any numbers that matched on different parts. What else should I look for on these guns and what would be price range. I don't have a clue about these, but would like to learn more. Also I feel like a person could easily get a good burning on these if they don't know what to look for and what companies made them.
    edited November -1
    I have an old m1 Garand the receiver says US Rifle cal 30 m1 Springfeild Armory but the barrel says Blue Sky/Alexandria VA. I was just curious as to what it is and what it might be worth. This was acquired many years back and I have never messed with it. The other day one of my buddies asked me about it and we saw the two different names and thought it might be a "kit" gun but that thing is old I know it hasn't been fired in over 17 years "I have never shot it"[:I] thanks for your help kevin
    edited November -1
    Going to look at a M1 Garand tomorrow and aside from the obvious (bore, metal, wood) what should I look for? Low serial number which I was told by person here year of mfg. Given a site to visit but aol went kaput and lost it. Realizing from previous post that serial numbers probably will not match I do not know where to go from just an overall look. Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Franko fpateconner@aol.com
    edited November -1
    Hello. Does anyone know what a excellend condition International Harvester M1 Garand is worth. I am about to put it up for auction. Thanks
    edited November -1
    Hi, I'm looking at a winchester m-1 #1605xxx, barrel is mint. a couple of internal parts don't match serial numbers. stock is very good and not refinished. reifle has a weld mark on top and underneath just in front of the receiver. Someone told me that this would indicate that it was a Ntl.guard rifle and they did this to them before issueing them out to the vfw's. Any ideas? Valuation.
    edited November -1
    Can a M1 Garand be converted into say a M1C or M1D or even a M1A or M14 because of the similarities in these rifles seems to me it could be possible but i'm no expert, anyone?
    edited November -1
    A friend has a US Rifle Cal. 30 M1 Springfeild Armory Ser# 1990454, Blue Sky Production stamped on the barrel and on the box it was in. The receiver and the barrel looks alot newer than the wood on the gun. Any info on this M1 would be helpful, who is Blue Sky Production and what would it be worth. Thank you P.S. what are these guns selling for, ballpark.
    edited November -1
    Guy, I have a M 1 Garand that the serial numbers start 283--- I would like to find out alittle bit about it. and its value.the receiver and all parts are 90 percent along with the barrel. but the guy put an after market garand stock on.. it has the original fore stock and hand guard. it is in 30-06. please help I find garand in the blue book but can not tell exactly what it is. Thanks Steve
    edited November -1
    I heard that Springfield was going to permanently stop making the M1 Garand. Has anyone else heard this? I also just bought the M1 Garand Iwo Jima limited edition model, of which there were to be 1,945 made. I understand that they haven't been able to finish making the 1,945 because of difficulty getting parts.
    Any thoughts??[:(]
    edited November -1
    One of my local sporting goods store has a M1 Garand for sale on consignment. They are asking $600.
    It is an International Harvester with the correct LMR barrel.
    Serial number 449XXXX. Maunfactured in 1953 if I am correct.
    Bore dirty but can be cleaned in my opinion. Wood dinged but not excessive. Metal actually decent for the most part with no rust or pitting to the naked eye. It appears to cycle without any problems.
    Now the hitch, it has an import mark on the barrel just under the front sight. It is very light and, in fact, cannot be read easily even with my reading glasses. However, it is there.
    So, should I ignore the import mark or keep looking? I will be buying a M1 Garand as part of a collection as the time presents itself.
    Based on the value of this rifle, does the import mark really affect the collection value for the future that much?
    Any and all comments a welcome.
    Thanks
    edited November -1
    Is there any kind of parts kit that will alow you to change this rifle from 30-06 to .308? Thanks
    edited November -1
    can an M1 grand be converted to an M1A1,
    edited November -1
    Good evening gentlemen/ladies, Could someone please let me know if a Springfield Armory M1 Garand manufactured in 1942 is considered a Curio& Relic? Thanks ahead of time.[:D]

It's me again, what does "original configuration" mean? (The rifle has "rack" markings on the stock, the handguard has been replaced, it doesn't seem to have any aftermarket additions etc. Thanks. [:p]
    edited November -1
    Hey everyone-

Im going to be buying a M1 garand soon but i dont know a whole lot about the different brands/makes out there. I know springfield makes a nice one thats very accurate, but they run about 1000 bucks. i was wondering if there are any other quality makes out there, and are any of them cheaper? I want a reliable, accurate rifle, so i dont want to get one of the cheap parts guns unless they are good quality.

Also, for anyone who owns one of these, how accurate are they with typical ball ammo? What kind of groups should i expect from the one i buy?

Thanks in advance for any input!
    edited November -1
    Maybe someone could help answer this question. Many years ago I picked up a Winchester model M1 Garand in a trade. The barrel is tack welded to the reciever and the gas plug was also tack welded and the plug was drilled out. I assume to make it a non semi auto. Why would this have been done? The previous owner knew nothing about the gun nor do I.I have never fired it and never will but would be interested in learning about why the tack welding was done.
    Thanks Andy.
    edited November -1
    There is an M1 Garand for sale at my local gun shop... The wood and metal is in mint condition, he said that it was an American Legion practice rifle, asking $1100... my concern with it is it doesn't have the springfield mark on it... on the side it says M-1 rifle cal 30-06... made in the USA by CAI Georgia, VT, serial number M1P22751... Any information on the rifle or the value of it would be greatly apperiated
    edited November -1
    Is there anyway you can tell from the markings the year of manufacture?
    Thanks!
    edited November -1
    What bayonet and scabbard would be correct for a SA October 1944 M1Garand.
    edited November -1
    IM looking to buy a M1 Garand, preferably a WWII one, so what manufacture would be the best to chose? It seems most of them got rebarreled for the Korean War, what would be a reasonable price for a good to very good condition model?

Alan
    edited November -1
    Just bought one and now have the question - aside from one at a time is there any way to easily load the clips?
    edited November -1
    I'm new to M1's. What's the meaning of "Blue Sky/Arlington, Va." on the barrel?
    edited November -1
    hey guys, help me out here, i have two local gunshops in town that are both selling springfield m1,s in 308, they both claim to only have one each, and both are unfired. one has a 1499.00 price tag, and the other has 1599.00 on it. since i am looking to buy one, i was wondering about the price. they say all parts are springfield except for the top over barrel, it seems to be a tan color plastic. any ideas on this being a good purchase for a shooter and future collectable?
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/m1rifle.html

Check out this link for info about the Garand. What I read indicated that "semi-auto" was the only mechanism produced...8 round clip would be eaten up quickly by "full-auto." [:)]
  • MeanieMeanie Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    from what i've read i have heard of garands running full auto, many(or all?) of which were modified to accept BAR magazines.