In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

series 70 vs series 80

MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
Did Colt make their 1911 model handguns worse when they made the few changes and came up with the series 80, or is it that some folks just have a hard time accepting change. I really don't know that the series 80 is such a bad handgun, but to listen to my friends I would almost have to believe it is. other then the trigger what else was changed?

girlieman.png

Comments

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The series 80's are supposed to be a little harder for gunsmith's to do action work on because of the firing pin safety that sets them apart from the series 70 guns.

They are just as reliable as their series 70 cousins.

I have 3 series 70 Colts, 1 Govt model and 2 Combat Commanders, 1 Blued and 1 Satin Nickel. They are all very high quality, nicely finished guns. I have never bought a series 80 gun simply because I dont need one.

Joe
    "Never let school interfere with your education"
  • MuffinmanMuffinman Member Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "E Series" will save you $400.00 in extras if you had to send it in for the dame features,
  • asaasa Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 70, a repro 70, and a stainless xse com. commander. The xse is perfect fit and finish-wise, but had a stiff, 7 lb. trigger. Both 70's break at a hair under 5 lbs., but cleanly. I took the xse to a smith who builds custom 1911's, and he stripped and did a "quick" action job on the spot. Fascinating to watch. Took about 10 min. and then he made me put it back together. ( He's a friend and said I needed to learn.) Sweated and fumbled(I'd never detail stripped before) but managed. Trigger breaks at 4 1/2 lbs., clean and smooth. He claims 80's can have triggers just as good as 70's, they just take a little longer because of the extra parts. Hope this helps.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello frist off I am an old fart and most of us don't like change. That said let me tell you about the 70 VS 80 gripe. I have a colt national match made in 1938 That I love it has a SWARTZ SAFETY from the factory.Colt paid a ROYALTY for each pistol with this feature. In the late 1970's Colt came out of R&D with the series 80 they changed just enough to not have to honor this ROYALTY agreement. However the SWARTZ design used the grip safety to activate the fireing pin block did not change trigger pull. The series 80 design uses the trigger this has three parts and a spring that have to slide by pulling the trigger. This gives a harder grity pull compared to a series 70. Because of dangers of law suits most gunsmiths will not remove these parts from a series 80 and the reason NRA set min. trigger pulls on 45's is not to make them harder to shoot but to keep them from going full auto by having the sear bounce off the hammer hooks when the slide closes.Because KIMBER was not even thought about in 1938 they have no such royalty agreement with SWARTZ or his estate. they do it the old fashion way with their SWARTZ DESIGN quote:"PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • wm69wm69 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fit and finish on 70's guns are much better (especially the early 70's guns). The 80's saw a decline in quality control so the 80's guns usually (there are exceptions) are not nearly as well put together as a 70's gun. The early 70's guns almost always have excellent fit and finish. The later you get, the worse the workmanship is. Colt and Smith and Wesson both got pretty shoddy by the late 70's.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I have a friend who loves the Colt 1911A1. He has several of the Model 70's and would not purchase a model 80. He tells me it is the same as the Ruger SA old 3 screw vs the new model. If it is perceived it is real to alot of folks. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    while you guys or on the subject, do the barrels interchange between the two?
    thanks

CavArms 14.5"/1.5"
    Oly 20" HBAR
    Auto-Ordance 1927A1
    Spring 1911-A1
    Colt 1911A1 Stainless
    SIG 220
    Ruger 10/22
    Ruger MK1 Target
    Ruger MK1
    Mossberg 500A
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60