In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

700 mountain rifle

squirrelsquirrel Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a 700 DM mountain rifle in 7mm-08. I am very disapointed in the accuracy of this rifle. I have tried 4 or 5 different brands of ammunition and have yet to produce a group smaller that 3.5 inches at 100 yards. The rifle was sand bagged and the barrel was cool. Even the premium ammuntition would not group worth a dime. I own 2 other remington rifles and I must say that this is not the norm. Doe anyone own a 700 Mountain Rifle and How does it shoot. Any help with this would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.[?]

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I have 2 Friends that have them one has 2 of them, they all shoot better than they should with that Pencel Barrel.
  • Options
    jrobjrob Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I HAVE A 700 M R ALSO HAVE THE SAME PROBS. AS THE OTHER SAID GOOD FOR WHAT WE GOT

JOhn Robertson
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    I have one of the original Remington mountain rifle 700 chambered in 30-06 and have done everything that can be done to improve accuracy and can't seem to get consistent groups any better then 2.5" to 3.5" due to the barrel whip.
    It's not ever going to be a target rifle but I love it as a hunting rifle when I am hunting in the steep Cascade range. Even though it will never win any target matches, I have taken several deer and one black bear with it[:p][^]

girlieman.png
  • Options
    asaasa Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the earlier Mountain Rifles (floorplate instead of clip mag.) in .280 with a Leupold vari-x 111 2 1/2-8. It will not shoot 160 grain but groups 140's inside 1 1/2 in. consistently. If I had a trigger job-creepy, rough trigger-it would no doubt do better. Do, however, love the gun; carries with one hand on the p.g. when going through brush. Light, handy, and comes up like my Sterlingworth. I've used everything from Win. 94's, Sako carbines, to B.A.R.'s and like the Mountain rifle the best. It's not going to win any benchrest competitions, but the deer haven't complained. -asa
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one in 280 that new shot 2.5 inch groups.To see if it would do better,I glass bedded it and adjusted the trigger,hand loaded some 140 grain Ballistic Tips and it shot inch or less groups.Mine had the worse safety to try to disegage of any rifle I have ever owned.It took both thumbs and was noisy and no one had a fix for it so I traded it in on a Steyr Pro Hunter.
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not understand the Remington die hards. The Tikka T3 lite is 6 pounds 3 ounces. The Rem mountain is 6 pounds 8 ounces. The Tikka has a much better trigger and promises a 1" moa or less. No promise from the Remington. The Tikka has a great balance/feel and can be had for much less money. Check out Item # 24761326. If you hold them side by side you would pick the Tikka T3 over the Remington even if it cost more, instead of less.

Mad Dog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I really appreciate the input. I probably should have realized that a light barrel like these werent sub moa shooters I've heard alot about the Tikka rifles. I will be looking pretty close at them in the future
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a bedding/contact point/torque issue not a remington issue (rare but possible). My suggestion would be first to check the stock torque and be sure it is seated correctly (loosen both screws,...75% tighten the front,..smack it on the floor on the pad to seat the recoil lug, 75% tighten the rear,..go back to the front and then to the back). Next,..do the dollar bill test to see if the barrel has a contact point in the barrel chanell (negating a foreward pad). If so,..that may be the problem,,.if not look elsewhere. Is the scope a KNOWN scope to hold zero on other rifles? If you're sure and you have retorqued the stock,..the try taking a business card and folding it until it fits under the barrel where it exits the forend of the stock. try shooting it that way. If groups get better then fold it more to increase pressure and shoot again. If groups progressively get better,..you simply need a foreward pressure point on the barrel.

Now a loose barrel could cause this,..but it would have to be awful loose. What does the fired brass look like? are the primers backing out of the case? are they flattened? are the shiny round spots on the case head?

Try finding the problem and don't give up,..I have NEVER met a 700rem that wouldn't go under 1moa right from the box.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    That is a bedding/contact point/torque issue not a remington issue (rare but possible). My suggestion would be first to check the stock torque and be sure it is seated correctly (loosen both screws,...75% tighten the front,..smack it on the floor on the pad to seat the recoil lug, 75% tighten the rear,..go back to the front and then to the back). Next,..do the dollar bill test to see if the barrel has a contact point in the barrel chanell (negating a foreward pad). If so,..that may be the problem,,.if not look elsewhere. Is the scope a KNOWN scope to hold zero on other rifles? If you're sure and you have retorqued the stock,..the try taking a business card and folding it until it fits under the barrel where it exits the forend of the stock. try shooting it that way. If groups get better then fold it more to increase pressure and shoot again. If groups progressively get better,..you simply need a foreward pressure point on the barrel.

Now a loose barrel could cause this,..but it would have to be awful loose. What does the fired brass look like? are the primers backing out of the case? are they flattened? are the shiny round spots on the case head?

Try finding the problem and don't give up,..I have NEVER met a 700rem that wouldn't go under 1moa right from the box.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
    Ditto!!

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks JustC I'll definatley give that a try. I love the gun I just hope she lives up to my expectations. The scope is a good one. The brass looks fine. But I notice that they is some contact between the barrel and the stock. I'll play with it and see what happens. T[;)]hanks.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brian,

Most of the common problems with accuracy have been covered above. I usually agree on most of these points. But it is difficult to list all of the possible things that can go wrong with accuracy in a rifle.

I think that the barrel touching and torque are good places to start and usually yield the most correction. But don't count out a scope after you've worked on the other issues. I've sent Leupold, Night Force and U.S Optic Scopes back to the manufacturers for flaws so don't assume. Then make sure that all of the screws are tight. Simple but frequent error.

Don't rest the sling swivel on a sandbag or other rest, it will distort your accuracy. Have the rifle bedded torque (tension) free. Pillar bedded is even better. This is an important feature for all mass manufactured rifles these days.

Best of luck!

Travis,

I don't see any difference between Remington supporters and Sako/Tikka supporters. Both have their good and bad points, except...

218994.jpg

From the post regarding Tikka recall:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=130613

Best.