In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W Centennial 9MM Model 940 Help

poorboy5150poorboy5150 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited November 2004 in Ask the Experts
Found one at my local gun shop. Thinking of getting it but would like some feedback on the pros and cons of the revolver. How it shoots, ect. Sorry for the mistake regarding the model number on my first posting. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Welcome to GB. If memory servers me correctly and that can be a streatch some times, These were built for the French Police. A revolver that would fire the 9mm round and be loaded and extracted with out full or half moon clips. I liked the idea alot. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are typical high quality Smiths. Excellent shooters if you don't mind using clips.

Greg- the model you are thinking of is the discontinued 547 M&P...

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As pointed out the 940 does use moon clips, but it can be loaded/fired without them but the spent rounds have to be "poked" out as the ejector does not work w/o the clips.

The 547's were Smith's effort at the Euro market. The 940 was directed toward the US market, primarily as a backup or detective's piece. Buyer interest was "tepid" at best.

Good revolvers and they are as accurate or better than any of the short barreled revolvers or pistols.

Only down side is that some of them are very fussy about the ammo you feed them. I've seen several that had the cylinder seize up after a round or two because a case head (or heads) dragging on the recoil shield ...

If you buy one make darn sure that there is no "ammo" problem if you intend to carry it for personal defense or as a backup.

9407288-Ti.jpg

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the plus side the 9mm is a short tapered cartridge and as such, brass will eject more readily than a 38 Spl or 357 Mag especially with the short stroke ejector rod found on the 1 5/8-2" barrels.