In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wouldn't this work? RUGER, are you listening?

RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
edited November 2004 in Ask the Experts
Okay, we all know the fabulous piece called Ruger's Single-Six Convertible...a .22 LR caliber revolver with an interchangeable .22 Mag. cylinder.

Since the .17 HMR is based on the .22 Mag. cartridge and the .17 Hm2 is based on the .22 LR, couldn't they also make a .17 hm2/HMR convertible just as easily?

If so, what's holding them up? If not, I'll crawl back in my hole and wait until someone else does it anyway. [8D]

Comments

• Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I think you are right this could be done.

I don't know if there is enough market to support this type of handgun, but it should be possible.

Regards,

Heavyiron[8D]

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the confirmation, HI. [:D]

I have a Single-Six .22LR/WMR and I would NOT part with it. I also traded for a Taurus Tracker in .17 HMR. The gun is okay but it's NOT a Ruger. [:(]

I like the cartridge and have read good things about the newer .17hm2 but if offered the opportunity at a RUGER quality gun in a .17 convertible configuration, I'd be on it like a chicken on a june bug. [^]
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just give them a little time.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A skilled machineist could make conversion cylinders and probably make a pretty penny selling them. Kind of like cartridge conversion cylinders for revolvers that were originally percussion.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger is always very SLOW to come out with new things, I think they kind of sit back and wait to see which way the wind is blowing before making a committment.....kind of like John Kerry!

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
    stooges.jpg
  • Options
    rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They already make the MarkII in .17,it won't be long before they come out with the Single-Six.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rimfire72
    They already make the MarkII in .17,it won't be long before they come out with the Single-Six.

Technically, Rim, they have introduced plans to release a Mark III sometime "later in 2004." It's in the .17 hm2 and I've already got an itch for one of them. Just wish someone could light a fire under RUGER to move more quickly. Depending on this election, good factory firearms may not be available for very long. [:(]

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/News-04-16-2004C.html
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    they already have the Single Six out in 17HMR , all they would need to do is make a cyl. for it in the new 17hm2
    http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=24960031
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, again. Ruger is very slow.

Ruger does not make a .17HMR or .17HM2 in for their semi-auto rifle of 10/22 styling even though there is more than one barrel manufacturer that makes replacement barrels. They are very behind the curve and losing business.

I got tired of waiting for them so I purchased a 10/22 magnum. I bought a Jarvis .17HMR aftermarket target factory contour barrel and put it on the rifle with 3x9-42 scope. I also did a trigger job, bolt buffer, extra power extractor spring and claw. The rig can really shoot well.

I am now ready to buy a .17M2 semi-auto from Ruger but again they don't make one. I notices the last Cabela's catalog advertised a new Green Mountain .17M2 factory contoured replacement barrel for $100.00. I guess I will buy one and drop it in rather than waiting again. Anyway its cheaper to have two rifles with 4 barrels than 4 rifles. More flexible that way.

Here are some pixs.

Ruger_10_17.jpg

Ruger_17HMR.jpg

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

Heavyiron

"If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm impressed, HI, too bad though that I'm not as crafty as you when it comes to smithing. Maybe I need to sign up for one of those mail-order gunsmith courses. May have to build my own firearms if this election goes left, huh? [V]

And you're right, gsky, it wouldn't be much of a step for RUGER to fulfill my desire. So what's keeping'em? [?]

BTW, just got my newest copy of Shooting Times today and in the Christmas "Wish List" section, someone else echoed my wish about the convertible. Maybe RUGER folks read magazines if not internet blog. [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ramtinxxl,

Thanks, but I am a mechanical moron and should never be compared with a gunsmith.

All these parts are drop-in which makes the task very easy even for me.

Heavyiron[8D]