In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

tikka recall????

ker2222ker2222 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited November 2004 in Ask the Experts
I was in my local gander mountain today looking to pick-up a Tikka Varminter in Stainless that I had been eyeing for about a month. Today, they said they were all recalled due to some issue with the stainless metal.

Does anyone have any info????

Comments

• Options
    RaoulRaoul Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Apparently some Sako 75 and Tikka T3 stainless rifles made since February 2004 have a problem with the barrels. The last I heard, Beretta USA doesn't have any info on their web site, but the company has contacted dealers to try to identify any owners of these rifles, and will then contact the owners by email or phone about returning rifles within a specific serial number range. The advisory stated to not fire the weapons, and for any owners to call the dealers where they were purchased to see if the rifles were in the serial number range with the problem.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I've heard, I suppose you could call it a barrel problem. Problem being that a couple of them wouldn't hold up to a 1/4 box of factory ammo.
    SANY0015.jpg

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But, looks like the Leupold held up!![:D][:D][:D]

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner,

Is that what I think I am looking at?

Can you share any particulars?

That's a very dramatic photo.

Heavyiron[8D]

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nononsense sent me this.

This information is coming from a couple of different sources. Here is a phone number for you to call to see what the real scoop is.

The number to call about the recall is 800-503-8869. But evidently you have to own a rifle to get any information from them. You have to leave your serial number and phone number then wait for them to call you back.

They are not posting or publishing any information other than the recall affects all Sako and Tikka rifles in Stainless only.

Thanks again Nononsense!!![:)]

Mad Dog
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HeavyIron
    Only what I've seen discussed on another board. There are at least 2 that have done the same thing, and the thought is that there is a contamination/inclusion in the SS barrels being caused by the type of rifling lubricant that was used. Nononsense: Further posts on that other forum (which I read AFTER posting the above), concure with the your "bad batch of steel" theory. Appoligies for passing on bad information.
    Word is that the shooter of the one pictured was NOT injured, due to the way he had the rifle on the bags. The other user who had one blow was holding it normaly when it went, and sustained some injuries to his left hand.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes these things get to be like the game of telephone that we played as children. One person whispers something to the next person who whispers it to the next person and so on... By the time it gets through several kids it bears little or no resemblance to what was originally stated.

I have no idea what was originally stated by Beretta or Sako or Tikka since any official word or statement is very hard to find. But what I do know is that 'contamination/inclusions' cannot be caused by rifling lubricant. Inclusions and contamination occur long before the stick of steel even gets close to a deep drill, reamer or rifling machine. They occur when the steel is being formulated and extruded at the steel mill. And, since they have limited the recall to a few months of manufacturing, I figure that it is one lot or batch of steel that is faulty. But, not being an expert metallurgist and the fact that Beretta doesn't want to post a public statement, we might never know the truth. It is good to know that they are replacing any rifles that are called in and found to be in that serial number range, with a brand new rifle, supposedly within 5 days.

There are some other forums posting information and stories...

Call Beretta and get your serial number checked! Your life and safety depend on that phone call.

Best.

2 Nov. 04

Tailgunner,

No apologies necessary at all. I was just trying to correct some information not poke at you.

I am relieved to hear that neither of the shooters was hurt severely. Just looking at the photograph scares the daylights out of me... That's a lot of massive failure!

Best.