In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Revolver safety question

beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
edited November 2004 in Ask the Experts
I realize this elementary, but its kind of important:

What is the best way to safely uncock a cocked double-action revolver (eg a Smith)?

Comments

• Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only way I've ever heard of is to put your thumb securely on the hammer, pull the trigger, and SLOWLY allow it forward. I do that with all my hammered guns, and have never had one fire.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the thumb holding the hammer back, pull the trigger just enough to release the hammer and immediately release the trigger. Ease the hammer forward with the thumb and the hammer will go into the rebounded position, not the fully forward position.
    Try this without ammunition in the revolver to get the hang of it.
    Notice the only way the S&W will let the firing pin reach the primer is
    if the trigger is held back when the hammer goes forward.
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another way to do it is to hold the pistol in your strong hand (shooting hand), grip the hammer spur between your thumb and fore finger, pull the trigger and let the hammer down slowly and release the trigger to withdraw the fireing pin. I use this method on auto loading pistols that have a hammer drop feature when you put them on safe with a round in the chamber.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    With the thumb holding the hammer back, pull the trigger just enough to release the hammer and immediately release the trigger. Ease the hammer forward with the thumb and the hammer will go into the rebounded position, not the fully forward position.

That's the correct drill. The important part is to immediately release the trigger and allow it to move forward unimpeded.

Unless the trigger is held to the rear, the built-in hammer block safety will keep the hammer from falling far enough for the firing pin to strike the primer. You could beat the hammer of an S&W revolver with a brick and a round won't go off unless you hold the trigger to the rear. It's an extremely solid design.

FYI-Holding the trigger of a modern double action revolver to the rear as you ease the firing pin all the way to the primer, then releasing the trigger to withdraw it is an excellent way to have an AD.
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    ADDITIONAL SAFETY MEASURE:
    On your phone, get a dial tone and then punch in 9-1 before proceeding with the above actions. Have someone else ready to punch the last "1" in case Murphy's Law is enacted on site. [;)]
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Point the gun in a safe direction while you're doing this.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do what chappsyny said, you won't have to worry about what Ramtinxxl said.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually place my right thumb under the hammer and pull the trigger while holding the hammer with my left thumb. I lower the hammer with my thumb while releasing the trigger until the hammer is touching my right thumb. I then pull my right thumb out and lower the hammer the rest of the way with my left thumb. Note the finger on the trigger was removed earlier.

If the hammer slips, it hits my thumb.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use rsnyder55's method, except with opposite thumbs. my .02 .
  • Options
    cgs500cgs500 Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you live in an urban area and there is no "safe" direction. Get a five gallon bucket and fill it full of sand and point gun towards bucket while decocking. (Just in case)
  • Options
    riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the left thumb in front of the hammer method