In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Brass vs Nickel Case Reloading

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited November 2004 in Ask the Experts
Is there a difference in reloading nickel vs brass cases? I've got both and since I'm just starting out to reload, thought the experts could help me. Thanks.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

Comments

• haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Nickel cases are easier to clean and don't tarnish, but the brass cases usually last longer.
  • heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Hairy,

Yeah there is difference when reloading nickel versus brass cases. The nickel cases are harder and more brittle. They will split or crack sooner than a good malleable brass case. The entire case is not nickel - the nickel is merely plated onto the brass case. Eventually, will brass cleaning the nickel wears off and the brass case remains - but it is a thinner brass case.

The nickel plated cases were originally designed to prevent corrosion when kept for long periods of time, like in a police officers duty belt. This is their main advantage.

Some manufacturers also claim that the nickel plating is stonger and the smoothness of the finish will also assist in the cycling of a firearm. I think this part is mostly conjecture on the part of the manufacturers.

Federal and Winchester brass is the thickest commercial brass. GI brass is the thickest of all. Remington brass is the thinnest. The addition of the nickel plating makes the actual brass case thinner than in a regular brass case.

Regards,

Heavyiron[8D]

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nickel plated cases are easier to reload. Also, they tend to be more reliable in shooting due to the smoother exterior. But, as others have mentioned, there are downsides; nickel plated cases are more brittle and tend to split earlier. Reloading .38 Super to IPSC major loads, I think I would get about 6 reloads out of a regular brass case vs. about 3-4 out of nickel-plated case.
    It all depends on where your priorities lie.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Thanks, guys; I appreciate it. Now I can use those 250 cases I picked up somewhere along the line. [:D]

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

BUSH AND CHENEY--FOUR MORE YEARS!
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nickel cases are harder on dies and therefore maintanance is a must. Clean the cases (very very well if you use an abrasive cleaner like jeweler's rouge or wlanut shells), as both nickle and the media are herder than brass and will abrade the interior surface of the die. They also will affect powder capacity due to the extra layer on the exterior of the case. You'll need to adjust powder charge if/when going to brass.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • sir-kullsir-kull Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going to reload nickel cases by all means use carbide dies! The nickle is harder than the steel used to make dies and will flake off the case and embed in the die. Once that happens you will have scratched cases from then on. RCBS replaced my die for free when I sent it to them to have it polished and included a note saying use carbide for nickel cases.

Ben
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I'm looking at a zipper bag full of retired cases from .357Mag, they've had well over 25 loads each, are brass and nickle, and none have split, flaked, cracked or separated; I cull them after the 4th trimming just to make sure they're safe. I always use case lube and tumble with walnut shell media before I reload.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID