In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

stolen firearm?

OdesseusOdesseus Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
edited March 2005 in Ask the Experts
I was reading the "stolen firearm?" post by aerogenius1, and tobefree's idea is something I think is very needed. I had a pistol with a lot of sentimental value (not much else) go missing. I reported it to the local sheriff (still have the box it came in, bill of sale). A couple of months later, I asked a friend on the police force to see if there had been any action on the pistol. He said it was not in the computer, but he would put it in. After a year or so, I asked another friend to check on it. He said it was not in the computer and he would personally put in the weapon. Well, at last check, it IS NOT in any law enforcement computers. What do I do now?

TH Gibbs

Comments

• Options
    bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you need to find some new/real "friends"

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • Options
    westlund_125westlund_125 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go down there and watch them put it in the computer.[}:)]

"A good scope can end a bad situation"
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Odesseus, was the pistol stolen in Georgia? I'm sending you a private email.

WW2Guns005.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    aerogenius1aerogenius1 Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said in one of the replies on my ??, "Got a local news paper? If so, write them. Local community would love to hear how their police dept. is so lazy, they won't run a gun serial #. One given to them by an honest citizen to check if stolen. Unbelievable! My dept. is more than happy to do it as are every other I have heard of.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited"

I did just that this afternoon, I hope the paper acts on it and not just brush it under the carpet. I think the power of the press is a good thing (only if used properly).

I ended up hearing from the estate people today that were selling the shotgun. It never sold, I got the S/N from them and had the county sheriff run the number. It was stolen! I then accompanied the police in returning the gun to the rightful owner and he offered me a reward. I declined and felt just fine that I did my good deed for the year.

I hope things work out for you,
  • Options
    OdesseusOdesseus Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks y'all. I appreciate the feedback. The first time, I did watch the deputy input the data, or at least I watched him sit at a terminal and use the keyboard, can't say if he hit "enter" or not. The police officer I know well-enough to know that if he said he did it, he did it. Our local newspaper is not big on...ummmm...investigative journalism. Last big thing they did was an expose on how some of the utility commissioners were behind on their bills! LOL, life in a small southern town.

TH Gibbs
  • Options
    mace85mace85 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may also depend on which database they are refering to. I know many stated have different tracking systems that are used at a state/county/or local level. It all depends on which one they input the data into. Not all of the systems share information. In my home state I believe they use 2 or 3 different systems. Not to mention nation wide.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am NOT making excuses for them, and this is just a possibility.
    But consider, he is putting the information into a "computer."

That statement alone should be enough of an explanation.
    But I will take it a step farther.
    Has your computer ever crashed, where you have lost information?
    Have you ever bought a new program, and was "guaranteed" my the salesman that all of your old data would transfer over to the new program with "no problems?"

I know, most important systems have backups, but sometimes "stuff" happens.

The gene pool needs chlorine.