In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How do I oil my air rifle?

cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have an RWS, Mod 48, side cocking air rfle. I do not have the instructions that came with it. I want keep the seal from drying out. How do I oil the chamber and the spring piston so as to prevent the seal from drying out. I have all appropriate oils.
Thank you for the information.

Comments

• Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be VERY careful about the type of lubricant you use with piston driven air guns like the one you have! IIRC there have been instances of them blowing up after someone used petroleum based lubricant.
    I think it had something to do with atomizing the lubricant, then heat and pressure ignited it.
    I think there's a special type of lubricant to use. I suggest you contact someone like Pilkington Equipment.
    www.pilkguns.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have the non petroleum oils for both spring and chamber. I just cannot see where to place the drops of oil. I think one has to be careful and not over do it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guys, I have the correct oil. Where are these ports and points to put the oil you are talking about?
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Cowboy--
    Check your mail !!!!

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mrbruce, Nothing has showed up yet. I had my old email address in the profile .just updated. Try it again. Thanxs for helping.
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have long got rid of it but I had the same exact air rifle you are talking about. You should have two bottles of oil that came with the gun. They should be labeled. I do not know what the second bottle says but one should say air chamber oil which of couse you apply directly to where the pellet would come out. Obviously you can not apply it to where the air is actually is pressurized cause it is sealed. The second bottle is for every other joint and hinge and you would apply it just like wd-40. Both bottles should say contains rust preventitives.

As a side note it is sad but RWS pellets are made far better that the copperhead and daisy american brands. You should always buy tins that say made in germany.

Hope this has been helpful.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes it has been helpful because I did not have a clue. I do not shoot so much and my concern is that the seal willl dry out.
    Thanx to all.