In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gun boxes ?

scottscott Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
anyone have a good source for buying gun boxes ? my ups wont let me use hard cases...

Comments

• Options
    westlund_125westlund_125 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try your local gun shop. They might have some old one lying around.

"A good scope can end a bad situation"
  • Options
    Buckmaster223Buckmaster223 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a ups shipping station in my store and we ship guns all the time in hard cases i think someones giving you the run around. they rather you ship in hard cases so they dont get damaged.find a ups store near you. or a gun dealer that has a ups shipping staion...

One Shot-One Kill...... SEMPER FI U.S.M.C.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best method I've seen is find a box longer and big enough to allow
    cushion room all around (2 to 4 inches) and look for a precision shop that packs parts for shipment. Here, diesel injection repair shop uses two part foam. They wrap the item in a plastic bag/material, foam the one side of the box, lay the item in the hardening foam then foam in the rest. Fills to form, fills out the box areas, nothing moves or rattles. When it gets there, it comes off in two parts(like stereos, tv's, ect) come, the foam falls off the bag, the item is dust/damage free.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Buckmaster. On two occassions I have had to ship a rifle, by UPS, and both times I used a hard case. It is almost fool proof.

J. Patrick Tatum
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uline has boxes in just about any size; the only problem is that you have to order them by the pack. They are the cheapest shipping boxes I have been able to find.

Buckmaster, you are not allowed to accept firearms at your store. I know, you've been doing it for years, but it is still a violation of the UPS Tariff. The first time UPS loses or destroys one of your customers guns, they're going to refuse to pay the insurance on it, & you are going to be stuck with the bill.

Neal
  • Options
    m.j.ryanm.j.ryan Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brownells sells gun shipping boxes. 800 741 0015 www.brownells.com

Mike in Michigan
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Send it US Mail.
    Cheaper and it will get there.
    Use your local post office, no special markings outside of the box.
    just to & from address.
    Yes it is leagl if its going to a mfg,ffl, or repair shop/gunsmith.
    It cant not be sent to a privite individal!!!!!

I wrapped one up buying & using their cardboard & tape in the lobby.
    Nothing said.

But, your better off putting in into a non-descript box, no marrks or mention of guns, use plain old cardboard, even the flat stuff will wrap around it.

Plus USPS doesnt throw that stuff around as bad as UPS using it as a spear, or hockey stick.

Just my experiances
  • Options
    scottscott Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i quess i stated tht incorrectly...my local ups wont allow me to buy insurance if i ship in an exposed hardcase...must be wrapped in cardboard, in which case, i might as well use a box...their excuse being the case will show some scratches and i would have a case for a claim...i offered to sign a waiver saying i only was concerned about the contents , not the case, but to no avail..
  • Options
    Buckmaster223Buckmaster223 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hes got the right idea get a box from your local shop they may have one big enough for the case to go in.quote:Originally posted by westlund_125
    Try your local gun shop. They might have some old one lying around.

"A good scope can end a bad situation"

One Shot-One Kill...... SEMPER FI U.S.M.C.