In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope for .22

westlund_125westlund_125 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have a Henry .22 lever action with a grooved receiver. Should i go with a catilever mount, clamp on mounts, or have the mounts drilled and tapped?

What should i look for in a scope? 4x15? what brand is most econimical(i'm lookin between $150-200) thanks!

Comments

• Options
    westlund_125westlund_125 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yester day i got a .22LR and i want to get a scope thats pretty cheap, what our you recommendations
    Are red dot scopes any good on .22s?

"A good scope can end a bad situation"
  • Options
    scottscott Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go to pawn shops...you will be happy you did
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WalMart over pawn shop..gotta think new cheap beats used cheap unless you know what to look for...which I don't.

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a .22 I don't think you'll go wrong with a BSA. [8D] [^]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recommend calling up cabelas or visiting their website(can get ph # from there)they do have scopes espically made for the .22lr and .17hmr/m2 (not sure of red dot). Or you can purchase a bushnell or bsa that will be just as good if you can not find the specific scope for the .22lr.
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    I have tried therm all. Red Dots suck!
    Wal-mart Simmons 32mm lens 3x9 about $30.
    Best that I have found for the money!
    Dang good upto 100yrds.
    Set it up for 50 yrds on the thin part of the dead center reticle, then go to the 100yrd & use the thick part of the duplex reticle as the aimpoint, dead center at 100yrds!

Walte
  • Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Westlund - I think you've gotten some good advice - ie. the Simmons 3-9 variable. I like a 4x but that's just me. What I would emphasize is to avoid a ".22 scope", generally with a 3/4" tube. A rifle scope with 1" tube is the way to go - it can mean a huge difference in the light-gathering characteristic of the scope.

"Man must cease attributing his problems to his environment and learn again to exercise his will - his personal responsibility in the realm of faith and morals."
    Albert Schweitzer, 1875-1965
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just mounted a BSA Classic 4X32 on my .22 magnum 597. I paid $24 at WalMart and zeroed it in 4 shots not using a boresighter. I had a BSA Deerhunter series on it before and took it off to put on a bigger gun. I have about (6) BSA scopes on different guns and have never had any issues. I don't reccomend buying used scopes. My brother bought a used scope at a local gun shop($25) and it would not hold zero on his .243. You just never know what you are going to get when you buy used optics. IMO

"They call me Don. Dr. Jason Donald Dalinger."
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several of my .22's have Simmons Rimfire Magnum scopes. I usually go for higher end optics, but for under $50 at Natchez, these seem to do very well. 1" tubes, fixed 2x or 4x. I like them just fine and save the money for good scopes on the center fire rifles.