In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester barrel band screw

velcrovelcro Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
When did Winchester 94 barrel band screw heads switch sides?

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They didn't... if you have one that does not have the screw head on the left side, it is on the gun backwards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:0] I googled Winchester model 94 disassembly and went to the top of the page and under "miscellaneous Stuff" the author shows the barrel band screws on the right side.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well velcro,Bert's half right..Which is pretty good..He's correct, Winchester didn't..He just got left/right mixed up..But , then, I've seen him shoulder a rifle, so no surprise [8D]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is on the left, siding with Bert. As usual.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This was a gift from my deceased Uncle. Circa 1959 and was missing the forearm screw. I took it to the gunsmith and he gave me "that look".

He told me that it's a shame someone refinished (tried to) the stock (it looks terrible) and put it back together with the bands "on the wrong side".
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Mine is on the left, siding with Bert. As usual.

Maybe you hold a rifle like he does..Mine are all on the right side..Never seen one on the left, unless it was put back on wrong..

And Dale, I worked for years in an 'Authorized Winchester' shop..Ask Bert, he's got my wall placque[8D]

I'm puttin this here, velcro, to keep under the 10 post lock..Don't get too excited.. were all friends..I will totally defer to Bert on all things Winchester, but I think the right side is correct..[:)]

OK..Just finished a large slice of humble pie..I actually went and pulled out the first 2 94's, and guess where the screw head's were ..On the LEFT!!..What can I say..These ,for sure, have never been taken apart..LNIB..I'll never hear the end of this..[B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hold on guy's I'm gonna make some popcorn. I saw another 94 on this site and the screws were on the left.

I gotta run on an errand but this should be good.
  • Options
    spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine are also all on the left,,, guns have never been apart,,,winchester's model 1892 & 1894
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hangfire
    Well velcro,Bert's half right..Which is pretty good..He's correct, Winchester didn't..He just got left/right mixed up..But , then, I've seen him shoulder a rifle, so no surprise [8D]

Bob... You are slipping a cog in the old brain bucket[:0]. All "original" Winchester barrel band screws enter the band from the left side... never the from the right.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hey Bert maybe those guys are used to looking at guns from the muzzel end [}:)][;)] not from the butt-stock end you think[:0][:I]