In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The W. H. Davenport Fire Arms Co. Colonial

wmwdpswmwdps Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
A friend asked me to see if I could find anything out about an old shotgun that he has, I searched Gunbroker and could not come up with anything, Was wondering if anyone has any info on this gun and approximatly what it is worth. It is a single shot shot gun with a hammer, made by The W.H. Davenport Fire Arms Co. Norwich Conn. USA That is the only writing on the barrel, It is on the top in the back.
On the left side of the gun it has the name all in capital letter COLONIAL and on the other side the pat. dates DEC.15,91,AUG.14,00.MAY21,02 also has a # in the bottom of the trigger guard 10774. Any help would be appriciated I will try to get some pictures up when the kids get home from school. Thanks.

Comments

• captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Good Morning:
    DAVENPORT, W.H. PROVIDENCE, R.I. 1880-1883...Norwich, Conn.
    Shotgun, Singleshot...Various Gauges...In Good shooting condition, Baldersons Antique Guide says $200.00
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But Capt. Balderson's fine guide is now 14 years old! Still, $250 is probably tops. These old sxs guns usually go as wall hangers since they were black powder guns not suitable for smokless powder or modern shells.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    The 1902 patent date will tell you it was made well after 1883. Davenport was a firearms distributor from the 1870's until WWI and sold firearms from various makers. "Colonial" was one of the hundreds of "trade name" shotguns made by Crescent Firearms of Norwich, Ct. A single-shot 12-gauge Crescent shotgun will rarely bring more than $150 unless in mint condition.
  • b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    here is some information i have discovered about W.H. Davenport. davenport and joseph day founded "Bay State Arms" maker of falling block rifles and shotguns in 1885. bay state was sold to Hopkins & Allen in 1887. davenport worked for H&A until 1900. in 1900 he founded W.H. Davenport Firearms Co. making single and double barrel shotguns. mr. davenport passed away about 1905 and what was left of his company was also purchaced by H&A in 1907.

my guess on the shotgun in question is it was made between 1902 (latest patent date) and 1907 (company purchased by H&A).

my guess on the "colonial" name is it was not manufactured by cresent but "h&d folsom co." was one of the many distributor or wholesalers who sold davenport manufactured guns marked colonial.

cresent got into the act because a lot of earlier researcher wrongly assumed any shotguns sold by folsom was either manufactured by cresent or imported from belgium. h&d folsom co. did not purchased cresent until 1902.
    bill

ps
    just a quick patent search for W.H. Davenport. earliest i found was dated 1881 (double barrel hammerless shotgun) and he was in Rhode Island so he was active in the early 1880 (or before) working for himself or Bay State was founded earlier than most people assumed. this date also fit balderson's dates but that part of his career seems to have only been the begining.
  • wmwdpswmwdps Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your fast replies, It was a great help.