In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9mm +P ammo

arkbacksarkbacks Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
Is it safe to fire 9mm 147 grain +P ammo in my Taurus PT908 and my Ruger P95?

Comments

• Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum...suggest you check the manufacturer's manual that came with the gun. It should say if safe for +P loads.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    5-6 years ago I came by some +P+ 9mm. I don't remember the bullet weight. I think it's 124, although that shouldn't matter. Anyway I called Ruger and the lady said it was fine to shoot in my P85. She said one might want to change the recoil spring once in a while. What she meant exactly by that I'll leave up to you.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not give it a steady diet of +p.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What the lady at Ruger meant was your recoil springer on a steady diet of +P is going to wear, the rest of the gun will be fine.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    What the lady at Ruger meant was your recoil springer on a steady diet of +P is going to wear, the rest of the gun will be fine.
    Understood. It was the "once in a while" part that I was leaving up to him, as to just how often that was.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wondering what makes a recoil spring wear more with +P than ordinary. Does the compressed spring limit the slide travel and take heavier compression loadings or what? Just curious. Thanks
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the recoil spring starts to weaken a little (which they all do with use) it allows the slide to recoil faster and harder which beats the pistol frame more than if the spring was fresh.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rhmc24
    Wondering what makes a recoil spring wear more with +P than ordinary. Does the compressed spring limit the slide travel and take heavier compression loadings or what? Just curious. Thanks

Its not that the recoil spring itself will wear faster with +P ammo, its that the higher velocity of the +P load causes the slide to recoil faster.

The faster speed of the recoiling slide potentially increases battering between the slide and the gun's frame.

So *IF* the recoil spring is already worn (through ordinary use) the gun may be exposed to significantly more wear and tear from repeated slide/frame impact.

The solution to this problem is to make sure you swap your springs ever so often so that they don't get too badly worn. If you intend to fire MAINLY or entirely +P ammo, I'd suggest using a higher-than-normal resistance spring. Unfortunately, this may reduce reliability with ordinary loads. . .its a tradeoff.

To answer the original question, all Ruger 9mm pistols are rated for +P ammo.

In general with only one or two exceptions, *ALL* current manufacture 9mm guns from major manufacturers (*ALL* Smith and Wesson, All Glock, All Beretta, All Ruger, All Sig, all CZ, etc) are rated for 9mm+P ammo.

I believe all late manufacture Taurus guns are as well, though you might want to contact Taurus to confirm this with respect to your pistol (customer service # is 305-624-1115).

That said, I'd be careful about feeding guns with aluminum or aluminum-alloy frames exclusively +P ammo, as I think they are more prone to damage than comparable all steel guns.

While I would be surprised to hear that your Taurus gun could NOT handle +P ammo, I can think of another reasonably good reason to avoid it. Some guns won't reliably feed the longer flat-profile 147 grain bullets, and it wouldn't entirely surprise me if your Taurus is one of them.

On the topic of 147 grain bullets, the point of them is that they are subsonic, and are intended mainly for use in suppressed (ie "silenced") weapons. So unless you are running a suppressor on your gun, are issued this ammo and have no choice but to use it, or can get it cheaper than usual, I see no good reason to pick it over more conventional 115 or 124 grain 9mm rounds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    When the recoil spring starts to weaken a little (which they all do with use) it allows the slide to recoil faster and harder which beats the pistol frame more than if the spring was fresh.
    Yep, that's what the Ruger lady said.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going to shoot a lot of +P get some Wolf springs having greater spring constants.
    Select the maximum spring weight that gives reliable feeding to use with the +Ps.
    Check the Wolf website for their offerings on slide spring weights
    for your pistols.