In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1903A4 Redfield scope base value

cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have an original WW2 issue Redfield scope base. It has all square corners and the only the name redfield on the right rear side. The mounting screw locations show evidence if staking. What should I ask for It?
I also have another that is exactly the same except the name redifeld is on the front right side.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "value" of items like this depends upon originality, finish, & condition; on an auction site such as Gunbroker, if at least 2 bidders really need it, the actual selling price has no limit. Presence/condition/finish of the base mounting screws & windage adjustment screws would also affect the value.

I wouldn't make an offer for anything I couldn't see; for the same reasons, I wouldn't try to estimate value for something I can't see.

That's especially true for your second mount, as Redfield never made a "Redfield Jr" base with only "Redfield" on the right front side.

Neal

1903A4_8.jpg

EDIT: The left windage screw was supposed to be staked by Ordnance, so that the scope could be r&r'd without changing zero by unscrewing the right screw.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Redfield Junior A4 mount was also used in Korea and maybe in Vietnam.
    Mounting holes were staked. Windage wasn't, although the screws worked loose with much shooting. Not a good arrangement.
    I don't recall markings location.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I sold one several years ago for $125 shipped, I figured a good deal on both ends.