In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sako Riihimaki 222

lafrancelafrance Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello
I have in my possession a Sako Riihimaki No.34480 Cal. 222 on a Marlin Varmint King Barrell. There is no model number on the rifle.
I have been advised that this rifle is L46/Riihimaki/Marlin 322, mid 50s production. What I am looking for is a magazine for this rifle.
any help would be appriciated.

Thanks
lafrance

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Would anyone know the rate of twist or where I can find this info.Older rifle from the 60's,#20035

Randy Summers
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lafrance,
    Welcome to the forum.
    There's a Sako Collectors Group on line that would be good to touch base with. The clips you're looking for turn up occasionally, but basically are hard to find. If you locate one for 75 to 100 dollars, grab it before it disappears.
    Worse case scenario, if you can't find one it's easy to fashion a filler block that would snap in place and allow easy single shot feeding. If you decide to go that route, let me know and I'd glad to provide close up pictures and precise dimensions.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a nice rifle! Marlin made two models of .222 rifles on the L46 action. The one you have is the later, more rare, one and the model number is 422. The 322 was the earlier one, had a heavier barrel, and was not marked "Varmint King" (I have one of each). The magazines are, as I'm sure you know, interchangeable with the regular Sako L46 .222 magazines and are marked ".222" on the bottom. I have seen them at gun shows and, in fact, when I bought my 422, the dealer offered me a spare magazine for $75 and I turned it down since I already had a spare for the other rifle.

Good luck.

EDIT:PS--Rumor had it that, since these barrels were "micro-groove", they were not suitable for this cartridge and would not be accurate over time. From the considerable shooting I've done with my two rifles I'd have to say those claims are bush-wah!
  • Options
    BrianJBrianJ Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marlin made two styles of this rifle.
    The first was the model 322 as you were advised, and it was a medium heavy barrel and rather plain stock. "54-57"
    The second style was the model 422 and of a sporter weight stainless steel barrel inscribed on top "Varmint King" in gold letters. The stock was of monte-carlo design with a cheek piece. This model was only produced for a very short time and few were made. "57-59"

Both used the same action and mag.

We must have been typing together.

bjm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen
    Thanks for your input. I have been to the Sako forum and their trying to locate a magazine for my 222. There is one in Finland, original $180.00 (WO!) One of the guys on the Sako forum described my rifle with the info I supplied them as a Sako 222 L46/Riihimaki/ Marlin 322. There is no indication of it having a stainless barrell 422. I did find a site maacpsse@echoes.net that has a die for after market magazine for the L46. This site advised me that their die is damaged and when it is repaired they will advise me. The L46 magazine according to them has been out of production for 2yrs. If I have to use it single round at a time I will but I much perfer to have a magazine. I would of replied to each of your posts but Iam having a little trouble manuvering this forum. Hope I didn't mess it up. Ambrose in your travels you find another magazine for the L46
    give me a Yo!

Thanks
    lafrance

Thanks
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to say some one on a Sako forum is wrong but, trust me on this, if your barrel is marked "Varmint King", it's a model 422 not 322.

I will watch for a magazine and let you know if I find one. What's your price range?
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact Jim Luts 316-799-2509 for hard to find Sako parts.If he doesn't have it you most likely won't find it.
    Good Luck
  • Options
    BrianJBrianJ Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you look on the right side of the barrel, opposite side from the "Varmint King" stamping you will see "Stainless Steel" stamped in the barrel in small letters at the stock line.

All Varmint Kings had Stainless barrels, and were model 422.

The 322 was not a Varmint King and had a heavy barrel chrome moly.

bjm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    I hate to say some one on a Sako forum is wrong but, trust me on this, if your barrel is marked "Varmint King", it's a model 422 not 322.

I will watch for a magazine and let you know if I find one. What's your price range?

Hi
    Thanks for info Marlin 422 watch me catch hell on Sako Forum. Original magazine on Sako Forum $180.00 I haven't seen anything listed for after market magazines 80.00 too $100.00 would be a nice range. At this point I would consider any price as long as I was getting the Mag. that fits my Sako.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATF
    Contact Jim Luts 316-799-2509 for hard to find Sako parts.If he doesn't have it you most likely won't find it.
    Good Luck

ATF
    Thanks I will give Jim Luts a call Monday. Have a great day. Go Beaars "Ya right"
    LaFrance
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BrianJ
    If you look on the right side of the barrel, opposite side from the "Varmint King" stamping you will see "Stainless Steel" stamped in the barrel in small letters at the stock line.

All Varmint Kings had Stainless barrels, and were model 422.

The 322 was not a Varmint King and had a heavy barrel chrome moly.

bjm

Brian
    You are absolutely right (stainless steel) marked on right side of baarrell. I don't know how I missed it.
    Thanks Brian
    LaFrance
    PS you men were right on