In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Mini 30 Magazines

wtjosaaswtjosaas Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
What are the best aftermarket mini 30 mags to use? I have had, hit and miss luck with mags that can work reliably with different types of ammo...Thanks

Comments

• Options
    wtjosaaswtjosaas Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a Ruger Mini 30 and was wondering which hi capacity mags are the best and what I should expect to pay for them.
    Thanks
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome wtjosaas, you can currently get Ruger 20 round magazines on GunBroker for $16.00 each, with a Lifetime warranty. For Ruger Mags it's a good price. Go For It.

Another auction lists Ruger 30 round magazines fro $24.00, but does not state Lifetime warranty.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lifetime warrranty isnt going to be any good since the high caps are no longer made. It is my understanding that if you send them in for warranty you are going to get 10 round mags back.

Guncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lifetime warranty is only good if the manufacturer is still in business. Some are still advertising USA magazines and their lifetime warranty. Just one problem, USA has been out of business for quite some time. So you won't even get a 10rd magazine in its place.
  • Options
    REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You just discovered the problem with Mini-30s - reliable highcaps -Ralph

It was never supposed to be like this.
  • Options
    seamusseamus Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Mini 30 is a great short to mid-range brush-gun for deer - light, short, fast and combat accurate. But it does not feed well when using hi cap mags, and the after market mags for that rifle suck as well. I have only used mine with the factory 5 round mags, and it has never failed. Same is true with my Mini 14s; I only use Ruger factory 20 or 30 round mags, no after market types. However, if you need to have hi-caps for your Mini 30, I have heard that the Ruger factory 20 round mags will work with 7.62x39 rounds. I have not tried any live fire exercise using them, but have cycled a few 7.62x39 rounds through the Mini 30, using a Mini 14 mag, and it seems to work. The factory Mini 14 mag fits the Mini 30 magwell, and will hold 7.62x39 rounds, as well as 5.56mm. Since I have not tried firing that arrangement, I cannot recommend it, but would like to hear from anyone who has tried it.
  • Options
    terrible4sterrible4s Member Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy Thermold mags.
    They are not cheap but they function the best. A friend of mine swears by them he shoots his mini 30 a lot and says they are worth the money.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    However, if you need to have hi-caps for your Mini 30, I have heard that the Ruger factory 20 round mags will work with 7.62x39 rounds. I have not tried any live fire exercise using them, but have cycled a few 7.62x39 rounds through the Mini 30, using a Mini 14 mag, and it seems to work. The factory Mini 14 mag fits the Mini 30 magwell, and will hold 7.62x39 rounds, as well as 5.56mm. Since I have not tried firing that arrangement, I cannot recommend it, but would like to hear from anyone who has tried it.

I would not recommend trying this--the 7.62x39 and .223 are just too different; I don't think it will work for more than a few rounds if it will work at all.

The Thermold mag suggestion is good. But if (and that is a big IF) you can find early production USA Brand Mini-30 mags; you'll find they are excellent. Right now, most of the USA Brand mags you'll see for sale are "crap" that USA produced in a rush before the 1994 ban. I've paid as much as $60 for the good early USA brand mags, but with 100% reliability from them, they're well worth it.

I've had difficulty with the Eagle brand (I think it was a 17 round) clear plastic mag. So personally I'd avoid them.

I've found Triple K brand 30-rounders work OK, but they look rough and fit "sloppy" in the mag. well. I wouldn't want to rely on them if I "needed" the rifle in any emergency situation.
  • Options
    RSLINTIIRSLINTII Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PMC for the mini 30 wook well. Best, Robert

"Endurance"
  • Options
    seamusseamus Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Competentone, you may be right about using a Mini 14 mag in a Mini 30. However, I think you may be able to load about 10 rounds of 7.62 into a 20 round Ruger 5.56 mag and have it cycle reliably. When I have a chance, I'll give it a try. But since Ruger has never made a hi-cap mag for the Mini 30, I think the best advice is to use the Mini-30 for hunting, with a 5 round mag, and the Mini 14 with factory 20 or 30 round mags for those situations where you may need more fire power. Anything else is dodgy.